TIME IS RUNNING OUT to qualify to attend the FREE Storage
Decisions 2001 conference in Chicago Sept. 26-28. Learn
to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most
effectively manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-
qualified audience of your peers and NO vendor sales
pitches. Don't get shut out at this critical event. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3230205;5058249;z?http://www.
StorageDecisions2001.com today!

================================
HOW ARE WE DOING?
================================

Tell us what you think about search400's news coverage -
good or bad. And if you think there's a subject we should
cover or if you have a story idea, send it in. E-mail news
editor Jack Pickell at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

LEAD STORY
"IBM has recalled 10K RPM xSeries disks"
In March, before the DASD Availability Fixpack was
available for OS/400 servers, IBM issued a recall to
replace certain 9 GB, 18 GB and 36 GB 10K RPM disk drives.
These disks, which adhere to the Ultra160 SCSI standard,
have a product ID of DDYS and were installed in xSeries and
Netfinity Intel-based servers after Aug. 1, 2000.

SOURCE: The Four Hundred
http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/TFH-09-04-2001.html#2

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

Read what iSeries users had to say about their disk failures in our
Sound Off discussion forum.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84639/65

Search400 has the Best Web Links on Systems Management
http://search400.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid3_tax286955,00.html

TODAY'S OTHER AS/400 AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1]  "IBM withdraws V5R1 cumulative PTF release"
[2]  "IBM changes OS/400 proxy server plans"

[1]  "IBM withdraws V5R1 cumulative PTF release"
IBM has withdrawn the most recent cumulative PTF release
for OS/400 V5R1 from distribution; C1226510 was released
Aug. 14. Those who received the cume for V5R1 should omit
the PTF's SI01923 and SI01650 before applying the
cumulative release. An updated cume for OS/400 V5R1 is
expected within the next week.

SOURCE:   The Four Hundred
http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/TFH-09-04-2001.html

[2]  "IBM changes OS/400 proxy server plans"
IBM said it is changing the way it will deliver an OS/400-
based proxy server. IBM says that OS/400 customers should
use the proxy server capabilities that it recently provided
with the latest OS/400 Apache server refresh. Previously,
the company planned to port its Web Traffic Express proxy
server (WTE), which is the caching component of the
WebSphere Edge Server, to OS/400.

SOURCE:   The Four Hundred
http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/TFH-09-04-2001.html#4

WEEKLY POLL

Will IBM's support of Linux through V5R1 help facilitate
your business?

Vote now at http://www.search400.com/poll

---------------------------------------
BEST AS/400 WEB LINKS
---------------------------------------

[1] "Performance management:  Ask the expert"
Keeping your systems in top running performance is probably
your number one responsibility. And
searchSystemsManagement's experts can help. Need help with
various systems management tools? Have a question about
backing up your data or recovering information? Can't
figure out what might be dragging down performance? Submit
your questions here.

SOURCE:  searchSystemsManagement
http://searchsystemsmanagement.techtarget.com/ateAnswers/0,289620,sid20_tax287574,00.html

[2] "Informix product line lives on inside IBM"
IBM has sent strong signals that the Informix product line
will not suffer a quick death now that Big Blue has
completed its $1 billion acquisition of the software
maker's database business. At a recent media briefing, IBM
officials discussed future releases of Informix products,
as well as how Informix technology will be incorporated
into IBM's DB2 Universal Database.

SOURCE:   searchDatabase
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid13_gci763216,00.html

Do you know of a good article or Web site that should be
included in our Best AS/400 Web Links? If so, let us know.
Send us the headline, URL and a brief summary to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story off the Web

"Stephen Hawking predicts cyborg ascendancy"
Get smarter. And hurry! That's the moral of this story.
Stephen Hawking, arguably the preeminent scientist of our
time, told a German magazine that computers are getting so
smart; they're poised to take over the world. Hawking says
we humans need to tweak our DNA and re-engineer ourselves.
Otherwise, machine will take over man. Hawking also
suggested that we create artificial brains that work with
our mushy, organic brains and don't fight them. Are you
thinking the same thing -- that Hawking may have seen "The
Terminator" one too many times?

SOURCE: The Register

QUESTION OF THE DAY -- OS/400 Multitasking

"Can someone briefly explain how pre-emptive multitasking
(an operating system's workload can be prioritized, and
high-priority work can take the system away from, or pre-
empt low-priority work) is handled in OS/400?"

Lend this search400 member a hand, and post your
suggestions.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84638/439

---------------------------
ADMININSTRATOR TIP
---------------------------

AS/400 professionals in charge of administering their
systems will receive plenty of helpful advice from these
biweekly tips. If you want suggestions about managing your
AS/400 systems, you won't want to miss these tips.  To try
out this free e-mail service for yourself, just update your
user profile at
http://search400.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid3,00.html
and be sure you select the " Administrator Tips" checkbox.

-------------------------
SEARCH400 BOOKSTORE
-------------------------

Title: Enterprise Java Programming with IBM WebSphere
Authors: Kyle Brown, Russell Stinehour, Dr. Gary Craig,
David Pitt, Greg Hester and Jamie Niswonger.
Enterprise Edition (J2EE), servlets, JavaServer Pages and
Enterprise JavaBeans. It also provides techniques for an
efficient e-commerce solution.
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog_name=Books&category_name=&product_id=0201616173&partner_id=55

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget
newsletter, please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.