Tired of the headache associated with setting up and
managing database triggers?  TriggerIT! is the solution
you're looking for.  Version 2.01 provides reporting on
files with triggers, drill down inquiries, generates
trigger shell programs and more. Be one of the first 50
orders referencing promotion number PRS400 and receive a
30% discount.

Order today and save!
http://www.triggerit-400.com/

================================
HOW ARE WE DOING?
================================

Tell us what you think about search400's news coverage -
good or bad. And if you think there's a subject we should
cover or if you have a story idea, send it in. E-mail news
editor Jack Pickell at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

LEAD STORY
"BCD enhances ProGen WebSmart"
Business Computer Design International has announced
several enhancements to ProGen WebSmart, its Web/wireless
application development tool. One feature, direct
IFS access, is designed to simplify the process of moving
stream files between the IFS and iSeries applications by
enabling developers to read and write to the IFS where HTML
and image files are usually stored.

SOURCE: iSeries Magazine
http://www.the400resource.com/content/chronicles/daily/D20010919_1.htm

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

For more information, check out the Best Web Links on Web
Development at
http://search400.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid3_tax2f2,00.html.

Looking for more relevant information on ProGen WebSmart?
Try search400's targeted search engine today!
http://search400.techtarget.com/integratedSearchResults/1,289503,sid3,00.html?query=ProGen+WebSmart

TODAY'S OTHER AS/400 AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1]  "IBM adds servers to bolster midrange line"
[2]  "IBM maps out database sales campaign"
[3]  "Nimda moving fast, puts brakes on Net"

[1]  "IBM adds servers to bolster midrange line"
According to IBM, the company's eServer p660M1, a new,
eight-processor system, delivers almost 60% more raw
processing power than the company's current M80 model in
the same family of Unix servers.

SOURCE:   Computerworld
http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63933,00.html?OpenDocument&~f

[2]  "IBM maps out database sales campaign"
IBM's worldwide vice president for data management
solutions sales explains how he intends to exploit Oracle's
recent market slip, and why Informix and Linux are keys to
the plan.

SOURCE:   The Register

[3]  "Nimda moving fast, puts brakes on Net"
The Nimda worm is the first to infect e-mail clients and
network servers, giving it the potential to spread faster
than Code Red or any of its variants. Nimda is generating
loads of bad traffic and hindering Internet performance
worldwide. SearchSecurity gets an inside look at the worm
from TruSecure Surgeon General Russ Cooper.

SOURCE:   searchSecurity
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid14_gci770749,00.html

WEEKLY POLL

Will IBM's support of Linux through V5R1 help facilitate
your business?

Vote now at http://www.search400.com/poll

---------------------------------------
BEST AS/400 WEB LINKS
---------------------------------------

[1] "Facsimile Support for iSeries"
This page provides support to enable users to fax iSeries
or PC output (such as text, images, or graphics) and to
receive incoming faxes.

SOURCE: IBM
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/fax400/

[2] "V5R1's new way of locking down FTP"
This tip discusses how OS/400 FTP has always been both a
blessing and a curse on the iSeries. According to the
writer, it's a blessing because it enables you to easily
move files between OS/400 and other operating systems, such
as Microsoft Windows, Unix and Linux. It's a curse because
-- in the wrong hands -- FTP can also allow users to delete
file members or libraries and to launch commands on your
iSeries or AS/400 box. Check out this tip to learn how to
use it to lock down V5R1 FTP users.

SOURCE:   search400
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci764642,00.html

Do you know of a good article or Web site that should be
included in our Best AS/400 Web Links? If so, let us know.
Send us the headline, URL and a brief summary to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story off the Web

"Did Nostradamus predict attacks?"
It's a hoax spreading faster than a worm looking for an
inbox. Some e-mails claim the 16th century French
forecaster Nostradamus saw the terrorist attacks on the
World Trade Center coming. One quoted text making the
rounds only roughly relates to Nostradamus' prophecies.
Another quoted text, which seems curiously detailed ("in
the city of York there will be a great collapse, two twin
brothers torn apart by chaos"), is just plain bogus and
never came from Nostradamus' mind or his pen, according to
www.nostradamus-repository.org. Remember this before you
forward any fake forecasts from the Frenchman to your
friends.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.msnbc.com/news/628417.asp

QUESTION OF THE DAY --- Tuning data retrieval

"I'm developing a VB / DB400 application using Microsoft
ADO 2.5 and the latest Client Access ODBC driver. Our
network uses TCP / IP. All access to the AS/400 is through
SQL Stored Procedures. Timings are acceptable except for
returning the data to the VB program. I have set the ODBC
block size to 512 and I'm using resource pooling, but it
still takes several line turnarounds to get the data. Next
month I will be tuning the VB program and SQL Stored
Procedures. Is there anything that can be tuned on the
AS/400 or network to [1] Acquire connections faster so I
can disconnect them after each use? [2] Speed up
transmission of the data?"

If you have any advice for this search400 member, you may
post it here
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84636/421!viewtype=convdate&skip=&expand=

TIME IS RUNNING OUT to qualify to attend the FREE Storage
Decisions 2001 conference in Chicago September 26-28. Learn
to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most
effectively manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-
qualified audience of your peers and NO vendor sales
pitches. Don't get shut out at this critical event. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3230205;5058249;z?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com
today!

---------------------------
ADMININSTRATOR TIP
---------------------------

AS/400 professionals in charge of administering their
systems will receive plenty of helpful advice from these
biweekly tips. If you want suggestions about managing your
AS/400 systems, you won't want to miss these tips.  To try
out this free e-mail service for yourself, just update your
user profile at
http://search400.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid3,00.html
and be sure you select the " Administrator Tips" checkbox.

---------------------------
SEARCH400 BOOKSTORE
---------------------------

Title: AS/400 Planning and Recovery Course Code
examines how to perform an AS/400 backup, and how to
recover the system and system information in the event of a
failure. The course covers backup options and media types,
available AS/400 backup tools, methods used for backup and
system protection, database security requirements,
identifying system problems and taking appropriate action,
testing the system, and planning recovery.
http://nous.gofcs.com/as400/index.cfm?SitePage=courses&SiteTask=outline&SiteSubTask=&ID1=WT1670&ID2=&ID3=&ID4=&ID5=&ID6=&SiteMarketingID=2216&partner_id=55

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget
newsletter, please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.