Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
search400This Week
 October 29, 2001
 In this Issue

>> From the Editor: What you should know about WebSphere
>> Featured Topic: Logical partitioning
>> Expert Technical Advice: Programmer principles
>> Site Highlights: whatis.com now available as a book

 From the Editor

by Michelle Davidson, Site Editor

More small and medium-sized companies are turning to the Web to conduct business. And IBM is taking steps to ensure that its WebSphere tools are among the top resources those companies turn to when taking that next step. With the recently announced eServer iSeries Powered by WebSphere, WebSphere Application Server software and WebSphere application development tools can now come pre-loaded on a machine. It is part of IBM's strategy to offer low-priced and easy-to-implement solutions to "help mid-sized companies reduce the cost and complexity of e-business."

To further help users and educate them on the features of WebSphere, IBM is teaming with search400 to offer a series of online interactive events. The first such event, titled iSeries/WebSphere Strategies for e-business & e-commerce, takes place Thursday, Nov. 1. At 10am EST (15:00 GMT), John Quarantello -- IBM eServer WW iSeries e-business Manager -- will talk about why e-business is critical to the iSeries and will touch on such subjects as WebSphere's performance, reliability and scalability. Immediately following that at 11am EST, John will be in search400's WebSphere discussion forum, answering questions you may have about WebSphere. Log on Thursday and get information straight from the source.

To register to hear John Quarantello's presentation, call (800) 289-0579 or (719) 457-2550, passcode 638948. And be sure to log on to search400's WebSphere discussion forum after the presentation to post your questions.

 Featured Topic

Logical partitioning
by Michelle Davidson, Site Editor
Logical partitioning, which got a big boost in V5R1, lets you divide your iSeries into multiple independent systems. Check out the information we've gathered to learn how you can use this tool to get the most out of your iSeries.

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice

Featured Expert: John Kohan, senior programmer analyst, CT Codeworks

Categories:AS/400 basics, application development
John has programmer and administrator experience, and he can answer any general questions you may have about the iSeries 400, as well as those on networking, application development and systems management.

Click here to read his expert advice:

This Week in the Forums

Help! User profiles keep getting disabled
This person says user profiles are becoming disabled when not in use for a couple days. A few others offer suggestions to prevent this annoyance.

>> WebSphere vs. PDM -- Which is better?
This user writes, "I realize that WebSphere is for Web-based e-commerce app development, but can it be used for 5250 apps instead of PDM? If so, are there advantages in using WebSphere instead of PDM?" What do you think? Post your comments.

Tip of the Week:

Determining field name and cursor position.

When you're swamped trying to keep up with all that's thrown at you, even simple tips can make your job easier. Here site expert Tim Granatir gives you three techniques -- and a sample program -- to help you out. The program demonstrates how you can do the following:

* Get the cursor location at the time the user hits enter.
* Get the format and the field name that the user was at when enter was pressed
* Override the cursor positioning.

You can use these techniques for several things, but the main ones are F4 prompting and developing a customized help system.

>> Read full tip

 Site Highlights

whatis.com now available as a book!
The leading online IT encyclopedia now makes the perfect desktop reference
With more than 3,500 IT terms fully explained you’ll never get stumped again - order your copy today.

WebSphere Strategies Tip
Read what plans IBM has for modernizing iSeries applications and what they mean to you.
Check it out.
Best Web Links
Printers and Printing
Trying to find info on the new print services in V5R1? We've got you covered. Check out these tips, techniques and other resources.

Live Event Tomorrow!
Join us tomorrow at 1pm EDT (18:00 GMT) for a Live Expert Q&A session on "The iSeries and APIs." On the heels of their presentations at COMMON, Doug Pence & Ron Hawkins will show you how to use APIs to solve almost any business problem.
Join Us

Do you feel lucky?
Last week to enter the tips contest--time is running out. In recognition of the tip that receives the highest user rating, we will give away a free Virtual Speed Baseball. Send your tip now.
Enter Now

The Security Top 10
Check out this list of the Top 10 Security issues facing IT professionals. Then register your FREE searchSecurity membership and arm yourself with information.
Register Here

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2001 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.