SEARCH400.COM | Programmer Tip
 Nov. 1, 2001

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries
programmer.
 More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f9,00.html

STORAGE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE  | Hosted by searchStorage

Storage is mission critical. Are you ready? Apply to attend
the FREE Storage Management conference coming to Chicago
March 20-22. Seating is limited. Don't get shut out - qualify
early to attend at
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3498548;5058249;z?http://www.storagemanagement2002.com

IMPORTANT: Unlike any other industry event, the Storage
Management conference is the only independent storage event
that delivers no vendor sales pitches disguised as content.
Apply today!

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips,
expert answers and input from your peers to the following
iSeries programmer questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Programmer Tip:
     -- Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications

Answers to Other Technical Questions:
     1. Running Java classes
     2. Auto restart of WebSphere app server
     3. A low-cost, low-risk path to the Net
     4. Legal resources to protect your e-commerce projects

Important Announcements and Links
     1. IBM/search400 event: iSeries/WebSphere Strategies
     2. search400 search engine: Find iSeries Information Fast
     3. This week's featured course

Today's Featured Tip

Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications

Several tools, such as FTP, WebSphere Studio and WebSphere
tools for WebSphere applications, can help you administer
Java applications. But for more advanced or more automated
administration tasks, Java administrators will need the
power of QShell. Often, QShell is used creating directory
structures in IFS, managing authority to directories and
files for groups, easily copying files in IFS or QSYS
library system, finding files by name across many
directories and several other tasks. Find out if QShell is
the right tool for you and how you can get the most out of
it.

http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci778723,00.html

Answers to Other Technical Questions

1. Running Java classes
One user writes, "Is there any way to start a Java class
running as soon as the WebSphere server is up without being
invoked by user explicitly? If so, what are the ways to do
so? If not, how would I make a Java class an executable
file?" Site expert John Brandt offers some advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid388942_tax285218,00.html

2. Auto restart of WebSphere app server
This user has a WebSphere app server that needs to be
restarted weekly. He's wondering if he can create a CL
program and start the QSH environment from within the CL
and execute the QSH stop and start commands from the CL so
he can have the job schedule entry execute the program? Do
you know if this is possible?
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84637/129!viewtype=convdate&skip=&expand=

3. A low-cost, low-risk path to the Net
You've heard the hype. A business that is not an e-business
is out of business. The question for most IT directors
today is how to become an e-business. If you're concerned
about your business, we suggest you check out this tip.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci516352,00.html

4. Legal resources to protect your e-commerce projects
More iSeries shops are using the platform for e-commerce;
it's a good idea to consider the legal implications of your
e-commerce strategy as well as the technical issues. Check
out this tip and prepare yourself for possible legal
hurdles you may face down the road.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci348646,00.html

What other programming issues do you have and/or need to be
addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our programmer
experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285217,00.html

* Talk to other users about programming issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84636

* Send your iSeries programming concerns directly to our
site editor, Michelle Davidson, at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for feedback or suggestions.

::: DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS :::::::::

=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
IBM, SEARCH400 EXCLUSIVE EVENT | iSeries/WebSphere Strategies

Today at 10am EST (15:00 GMT), IBM is teaming with
search400 to offer a series of online interactive events.
John Quarantello -- IBM eServer WW iSeries e-business Manager
-- will talk about why e-business is critical to the iSeries.
Immediately following, at 11am EST, John will be in
search400's WebSphere discussion forum, answering questions you
may have regarding WebSphere.

To register to hear John Quarantello's presentation, call
(800) 289-0579 or (719) 457-2550, passcode 638948. And be
sure to log on to search400's WebSphere discussion forum
after the presentation to post your questions.

>>Click here to participate in the forum ...
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637!viewtype=&skip=&expand=

SEARCH400 SEARCH ENGINE | Find iSeries Information Fast

Is Google one of your favorite search tools? We've partnered
with Google to make our iSeries-specific search engine even
better. Why waste time slogging through irrelevant search
results? Try our newly tweaked search engine for the most
targeted iSeries results.

>> Search Engine:
http://search400.techtarget.com/integratedSearchAdvanced/0,289518,sid3,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
THIS WEEK'S FEATURED COURSE | search400 Bookstore

Free Training - Enterprise JavaBeans

Learn how Enterprise JavaBeans work, and be able to create
and use them with distributed applications. This course will
also introduce other related technologies, such as Java
Naming and Directory Interface (JNDI) and Java Transaction
Service (JTS).

Get it for Free at: http://nous.gofcs.com?s=35&p=w&m=tips

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS  ::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER :::::::::::::::

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2001, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.