SEARCH400.COM | Programmer Tip
 Oct. 10, 2001

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries programmer.
 More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f9,00.html

SPONSOR: Postmaster Direct
What do you like? Networks? Computer Games? Downloads?  How about
Free Stuff? Search400.com can get you FREE info on the topics that
interest you most -- and there are so many to choose from! We'll find
related news, information and special offers and deliver them
directly to your e-mailbox, all at no charge! Sign up here today!
http://search400.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert answers
and input from your peers to the following iSeries programmer
questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Programmer Tip:
     -- The "X" factor

Answers to Other Technical Questions:
     1. Reorganize with CPYF *REPLACE
     2. PC5250 / Web integration
     3. Java program errors
     4. Disabling users from prompting with F4 for files

Important Announcements and Links
     1. IBM eServer iSeries One Year Later
     2. This week's featured book

Today's Featured Tip
The "X" factor

There are two operations codes (RPG/400) or built-in functions (RPG
IV) that you may not realize are there. For RPG/400 they are XFOOT
and XLATE, and in RPG IV they are %XFOOT and %XLATE. Site expert John
Kohan shows you how they can give you powerful functionality and with
very few lines of code. He also offers examples and the code you
would use so you can start using these operations codes or functions
today.

http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci774754,00.html

Answers to Other Technical Questions

1. Reorganize with CPYF *REPLACE
Find out how you can increase the speed of your CPYF replace by
changing all of the logical files that are based on the destination
physical file to MAINT(*REBLD) and then changing them back to
MAINT(*IMMED) after the CPYF completes.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci763915,00.html

2. PC5250 / Web integration
This tip shows you how you can easily integrate your AS/400 with an
Internet application by simply inserting a Web URL into a display
file and enabling the "Execute URL" option under Hotspots Setup,
which can be found on the PC5250 "Assist" menu.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci760264,00.html

3. Java program errors
One user writes, "When I'm trying to compile my Java program with
"import com.ibm.db2.access.*;" compiler hangs up any errors, for
example: "package com.ibm... and so on doesn't exist" despite that
I've put jt400.jar on CLASSPATH on autoexec.bat on my PC. Any clues?"
Site expert John Brant has some advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid387243_tax285217,00.html

4.  Disabling users from prompting with F4 for files
This user is looking for a way to disable the user from prompting
with F4 for files in the WRKQRY command. He would like to allow users
to use Query/400, but he doesn't want to allow them to use the F4 key
to get at all files in any library.

Can you help him out? Post your reply here:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84636/481!viewtype=convdate&skip=&expand=

What other programming issues do you have and/or need to be
addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our programmer experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285217,00.html

* Talk to other users about programming issues in our discussion
forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84636

* Send your iSeries programming concerns directly to our site editor,
Michelle Davidson, at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for feedback or
suggestions.

::::::::::  DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS  :::::::::

IBM ESERVER ISERIES ONE YEAR LATER | Open Forum

Concerned about the future of the iSeries. Do you have questions
about the direction IBM is leading it? This is your chance to get
answers straight from the source. On Oct. 16, from 9-11 am EDT, Kim
Stevenson, Vice President IBM eServer Marketing Operations, will talk
about IBM's plan for the iSeries in an audio presentation.
Immediately following that -- from 12-2 pm EDT -- she and other IBM
representatives will answer your questions in search400's Sound Off
forum.

Call 1-800-289-0437 or 1-913-981-5508 (toll/international), pass code
572679, to register to hear Kim Stevenson's presentation. When you
enroll, you will receive the dial-in number for the live call.

And log on to search400's Sound Off forum to post your questions:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84639

THIS WEEK'S FEATURED BOOK | search400 Bookstore

Title: The Essential Java Training Library

This award-winning package is simply the best and cheapest way to get
a solid handle on Java programming.  Six 10-hour courses guide you
through Java in an interactive, easy-to-use manner.
http://nous.gofcs.com/as400/index.cfm?SitePage=courses&SiteTask=list&SiteSubTask=&ID1=599&ID2=&ID3=&ID4=&ID5=&ID6=&SiteMarketingID=16198

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS   :::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER   :::::::::::::::::::::

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2001, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.