SEARCH400.COM | Administrator Tip
December 12, 2001

Essential explanations, tools, and code for the iSeries
administrator.
More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f8,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert answers
and input from your peers to the following iSeries administrator
questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Administrator Tip:
     -- Give PC5250 Window titles more meaning

Answers to Other Technical Questions
  1. Use Express V5R1 to share PC5250 configurations
  2. Edit efficiently using CA "Jump Next Active" function
  3. Assign static device descriptions to workstations
  4. What you should know about the new version of Client Access

Important Announcements and Links
  1. Tips contest: November winners announced
  2. Best Systems Management Web Links
  3. Featured book: The OS/400 and Microsoft Office Integ. Hndbk
  4. Win a Microsoft Xbox: Refer a friend to search400

Introducing SmartRouting! Where do you want your reports and forms to
go right now? FORMation mg's Smart Routing automatically directs the
delivery of reports and e-documents such as checks, invoices,
barcode/labels and more. Deliver to enterprise-wide recipients by
e-mail, laser printer and fax! Download the FREE Trial Award-Winning
flashFORM400 today! http://www.formationmg.com/index.asp?ad=2

Today's Featured Tip

Give PC5250 Window titles more meaning

In shops that have several iSeries or AS/400 machines, many
administrators find themselves -- and their users -- plagued by
obscure PC5250 Window title naming. By default Client Access Express
PC5250 places three things in the Windows title of every PC5250
session: the word 'Session' followed by an IBM-generated session-ID
(usually A, B, C, etc); a separator character of a '-' (dash); and
the session dimensions (screen size) of the active PC5250 window. It
would make things a whole lot easier if you could change PC5250
titles to include meaningful information so that you or your users
know which OS/400 they are switching to when they maximize a
particular session. Follow these easy steps to learn how to do this.

>> CLICK here for the full tip:
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci785673,00.html

Answers to Other Administrator Questions

1. Use Express V5R1 to share PC5250 configurations
By creating one generic Client Access Express workstation profile
(.WS file), you can share one PC5250 configuration among many
machines. This simple technique, provided by Joe Hertvik, should save
you a lot of time in setting up PC5250 devices throughout the
network. You can also easily change your configuration for all
computers by making a change to the shared .WS file.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci770208,00.html

2. Edit efficiently using CA "Jump Next Active" function
Most iSeries developers work with multiple Client Access sessions
going at once, often with multiple PC applications active on their PC
as well. Switching between sessions is often accomplished via the
Windows Alt-Tab switching function or grabbing the mouse and clicking
on the status bar representation for that session. When you are busy
writing code for hours at a time, you want to focus on your Client
Access sessions, not on the other PC applications you have open.
Perhaps you would like to focus on specific Client Access sessions
for a time, ignoring others for a bit. The Client Access Keyboard
mapping function "Jump Next Active Session" helps nicely.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci768544,00.html

3. Assign static device descriptions to workstations using CA Express
This user would like to assign message queues for printer
descriptions to certain devices using CA Express. Site expert Tim
Granatir offers some advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid411847_tax285220,00.html

4. What you should know about the new version of Client Access
In this transcript of a Live Expert Q&A session, Roger Pence answers
your questions on Client Access Express.
http://search400.techtarget.com/onlineEventsTranscript/0,289691,sid3_gci522299,00.html

What other systems management issues do you have and/or need to be
addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our systems management experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285222,00.html

* Talk to other users about systems management issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84638

* Send your iSeries systems management concerns directly to our site
editor, Michelle Davidson, at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for
feedback or suggestions.

:::::::  DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS ::::::

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
NOVEMBER WINNERS ANNOUNCED | Search400 tips contest

The envelope please ...
The top winner for search400's Tips Contest for November is Guy
Roberto Pacheco. Guy won a 64MB Pen Cam Mini Digital Camera and was
added to our Hall of Fame for his tip: "Analyzing a journal with
SQL,"
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci782334,00.html
Congratulations also to our runner-up winners: Doug Hart and Paul
Ladouceur.

NEW CONTEST FOR DECEMBER: This month we're giving away a R.A.D. Robot
2.0. Tough treads allow R.A.D. to conquer rough terrain -- indoors or
outdoors. It also bends and picks up objects, and the "Voice Link"
controller allows you to talk through R.A.D. Send in your tip -- you
could be our next winner.

>> SUBMIT a Tip:
http://www.search400.com/tipsPrize/0,289492,sid3_prz783215_cts783214,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT-PERFORMANCE | Best Web Links

Are you looking for some information or advice on how to get the best
possible performance out of your iSeries 400? We have scoured the Web
and gathered some of the best links out there on performance issues.
Check out these tips to see how you can keep your iSeries running
smoothly.
http://search400.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid3_tax2c3,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
THIS WEEK'S FEATURED BOOK | search400 Bookstore

Title: The OS/400 and Microsoft Office Integration Handbook
Authors: Brian Singleton and Chris Peters

Now you can use Client Access Express to combine the presentation
capabilities of all versions of Microsoft Office (including Office
2000) with the database capabilities of the iSeries or AS/400 to
provide your company with the best of both worlds.
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Books&product%5Fid=1583470204&ac_id=55

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WIN A MICROSOFT XBOX | Refer a friend to search400

Here's your chance to win a Microsoft Xbox, the hottest video game
system of this holiday season. Simply tell your peers about the
valuable tech tips, industry news and expert advice you get FREE from
search400 and an Xbox could be yours.

>> Click for info on how to win:
http://search400.techtarget.com/referFriendContest/1,290949,sid3,00.html?promo_code=xbox

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS   :::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER::::::::::::::::::

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2001, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.