SEARCH400.COM | Administrator Tip
December 26, 2001

Essential explanations, tools, and code for the iSeries
administrator.
More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f8,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers and input from your peers on the following iSeries
administrator questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Administrator Tip:
     -- V5R1 puts FTP in its own SBSD place

Answers to Other Technical Questions
  1. V5R1's new way of locking down FTP
  2. AUTOFTP reduces security exposure
  3. Check the ASP threshold
  4. Use shared connection with IBM modem

Important Announcements and Links
  1. Tips Exchange: Win a R.A.D. Robot 2.0
  2. Win a Microsoft Xbox: Refer a friend to search400
  3. Best Web Links: Systems Management-Performance

Introducing SmartRouting!  Where do you want your reports and
forms to go Right Now? FORMation mg's Smart Routing
automatically directs the delivery of reports and e-documents
such as checks, invoices, barcode/labels and more. Deliver to
enterprise-wide recipients by e-mail, laser printer and fax!
Download the FREE Trial Award-Winning flashFORM400 today!
http://www.formationmg.com/index.asp?ad=2

Today's Featured Tip

V5R1 puts FTP in its own SBSD place

Prior to V5R1, one of the work management issues with FTP was
that no matter what you did your iSeries always ran the batch
jobs that service FTP requests in the QSYSWRK subsystem. The
problem is FTP can eat up a lot of system resources as it
converts and exchanges OS/400 files with other computers,
slowing down other server jobs in the process. If you use your
machine to provide a file download service -- where many users may be
downloading large files at the same time -- the competition between
FTP and other necessary server jobs can create a bottleneck on
limited system resources. With V5R1, the situation has changed.

>> CLICK here for the full tip:
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci787795,00.html

Answers to Other Administrator Questions

1. V5R1's new way of locking down FTP
OS/400 FTP has always been both a blessing and a curse on the
iSeries. It's a blessing because it enables you to easily move
files between OS/400 and other operating systems, such as
Microsoft Windows, Unix and Linux. It's a curse because -- in
the wrong hands -- FTP can also allow users to delete file
members or libraries and to launch commands on your iSeries or
AS/400 box. With OS/400 V5R1 and Client Access Express for
Windows V5R1, IBM has provided new Operations Navigator-based
FTP application settings that help fill those holes.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci764642,00.html

2. AUTOFTP reduces security exposure
Tips contest winner Philip Howells offers a new command called
AUTOFTP that can reduce the main security exposure otherwise
present when simply batching together FTP scripts (FTP input
read by a CL). The command allows the processing of FTP input
scripts to be further automated and scheduled (without the
standard AS/400 scheduler) and provides a number of clear
benefits.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci770308,00.html

3. Check the ASP threshold
A search400.com member writes, "One of our users is not allowed to
access the System Service Tools menu. Is there a command in finding
the ASP threshold without going to the System Service Tools
menu?"  Systems Management expert Richard Belles offers some
advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid425364_tax285222,00.html

4. Use shared connection with IBM modem
You can use your shipped IBM Service modem on two different
lines without any complicated job/program loop. Check out this
tip for the details.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci779476,00.html

What other systems management issues do you have and/or need to
be addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our systems management
experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285222,00.html

* Talk to other users about systems management issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84638

* Send your iSeries systems management concerns directly to our
site editor, Michelle Davidson, at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
for feedback or suggestions.

:::::::  DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS ::::::

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Win a R.A.D. Robot 2.0 | Tip Exchange

This month we're giving away a R.A.D. Robot 2.0. Tough treads
allow R.A.D. to conquer rough terrain -- indoors or outdoors.
It also bends and picks up objects, and the "Voice Link"
controller allows you to talk through R.A.D. Send in your tip
-- you could be our next winner.

>> SUBMIT a Tip:
http://www.search400.com/tipsPrize/0,289492,sid3_prz783215_cts783214,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WIN A MICROSOFT XBOX | Refer a friend to search400

Here's your chance to win a Microsoft Xbox, the hottest video
game system of this holiday season. Simply tell your peers
about the valuable tech tips, industry news and expert advice
you get FREE from search400 and an Xbox could be yours.

>> Click for info on how to win:
http://search400.techtarget.com/referFriendContest/1,290949,sid3,00.html?promo_code=xbox

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT-PERFORMANCE | Best Web Links

Are you looking for some information or advice on how to get
the best possible performance out of your iSeries 400? We have
scoured the Web and gathered some of the best links out there
on performance issues. Check out these tips to see how you can
keep your iSeries running smoothly.
http://search400.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid3_tax2c3,00.html

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS   :::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER::::::::::::::::::

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2001, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.