SEARCH400.COM | Programmer Tip
January 2, 2002

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries
programmer.
More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f9,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers and input from your peers to the following iSeries
programmer questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Programmer Tip:
     - Keep on top of users' changes

1. Answers to Other Technical Questions:
    1. A better alternative to SLTCMD
    2. Checking Page Skip & Spacing in Spooled output
    3. Help using Infoprint Server
    4. Getting blanks when using the cpytoimpf command

2. Important Announcements and Links
     - Advice: Programmer Discussion Forum
     - Search400 Search Engine: Find iSeries information fast
     - Win a Microsoft Xbox: Refer a friend to search400
     - Best Web Links: Web Development
** STORAGE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE | Hosted by searchStorage **

Storage is mission critical. Are you ready? Apply to attend
the FREE Storage Management conference coming to Chicago
March 20-22. Seating is limited. Don't get shut out - qualify
early to attend at
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3498548;5058249;z?http://www.storagemanagement2002.com

IMPORTANT: Unlike any other industry event, the Storage
Management conference is the only independent storage event
that delivers no vendor sales pitches disguised as content.
Apply today!

Today's Featured Tip

Keep on top of users' changes

You're probably familiar with creating traditional "Work With"
style panels. You may add several fields that act as filters to
assist the user in selecting his records. Many times you place a
function key on the screen so the user can refresh the subfile.
In DDS there is a keyword of "CHANGE." That keyword applies to
the record level and field level. When used, if the contents of
an input-capable field are changed, the indictor you selected
comes on. Site expert John Kohan offers a sample program and
advice for accomplishing this.

 >> CLICK here for the full tip:
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci788167,00.html

Answers to Other Programmer Questions

1. A better alternative to SLTCMD
This tip writer states, "The SLTCMD command is great, but it
only allows you to search with an ending wildcard (i.e. SLTCMD
WRKDST*). There are times when you need more flexibility. If you
want to find all the OS/400 commands with a certain string
SLTCMD doesn't help." Check out this tip to find a command that
will help.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci787623,00.html

2. Checking Page Skip & Spacing in Spooled output
Here's a tip to check the Page Skip & Page Space that you have
given in your report layout. You need not take an actual
printout of the report to check the above.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci787427,00.html

3. Help using Infoprint Server
A search400 member writes, "We are using InfoPrint Server in
V5R1 to automatically send spool files via e-mail. We created a
PSF Configuration Object. One the parms is PDFDTAQ where the
system logs all PDF conversions. We need to find a description
of all the data contained in that data queue and the lengths of
each value." Check out this discussion thread to see what other
users advised.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84636/925

4. Getting blanks when using the cpytoimpf command
This member would like to use the cpytoimpf command to transfer
a file to the IFS but is getting two blanks after each numeric
field. He wonders if there is any way to suppress the blanks.
PC/Windows Connectivity Expert Shahar Mor offers some advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid427409_tax285221,00.html

IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SEARCH400 PROGRAMMER  | Interact with other programmers

Are you an iSeries programmer with questions? Join your peers
in our Programmer Forum to ask and answer questions about XML,
COBOL, CL, ILE, Web development, Java and much more.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84636

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SEARCH400 SEARCH ENGINE | Find iSeries information fast

Is Google one of your favorite search tools? We've partnered
with Google to make our iSeries-specific search engine even
better. Why waste time slogging through irrelevant search
results? Try our newly tweaked search engine for the most
targeted iSeries results.

 >> Search Engine:
http://search400.techtarget.com/integratedSearchAdvanced/0,289518,sid3,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WIN A MICROSOFT XBOX | Refer a friend to search400

Here's your chance to win a Microsoft Xbox, the hottest video
game system of this holiday season. Simply tell your peers
about the valuable tech tips, industry news and expert advice
you get FREE from search400 and an Xbox could be yours.

>> Click for info on how to win:
http://search400.techtarget.com/referFriendContest/1,290949,sid3,00.html?promo_code=xbox

WEB DEVELOPMENT | Best Web Links

Our editors have done the task of scouring the Web and
cataloging the very best links and information on Web
development. Come browse and enjoy hundreds of pre-screened
resources.
http://search400.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid3_tax2f2,00.html

What other programmer issues do you have and/or need to be
addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our programmer experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285217,00.html

* Talk to other users about programming issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84636

* Send your iSeries programming concerns directly to our site
editor, Michelle Davidson, at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for
feedback or suggestions.

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS  :::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.