SEARCH400 | WebSphere Strategies Tip
January 10, 2002

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries Web
developer.

More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2fa,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers, and input from your peers for the following WebSphere
and Web development concerns:

Today's Featured WebSphere Strategies Tip:
     -- Options for debugging Java applications

Answers to Other Technical Questions:
   1. Building, deploying JSPs with WebSphere Studio
   2. WebSphere setup on client and iSeries
   3. Specifics on 'extending' existing apps via WebSphere
   4. Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications

Important Announcements and Links
   1. Live Audio Chat: Protect yourself from disaster
   2. Tips Contest: December winners announced
   3. Win a Microsoft Xbox: Refer a friend to search400
   4. WebSphere/Web Development Forum: Interact with your peers

Help! Your business users demand access to corporate data now.
What do you do? NeuArchitect software Web-enables legacy systems
faster and easier. Integrate IMS, VSAM, CICS, MVS and 120 other
sources into new n-tier applications. Or reverse-engineer legacy
systems into new apps and add pages, Web services, XML. All
using your existing developer resources. For a FREE ONLINE
SEMINAR, click:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3797242;5058249;s?http://www.neuvis.com/neuvis/asp/techbrief.asp

Today's Featured Tip

Options for debugging Java applications

Debugging applications isn't usually an important consideration
when you're deciding on application architectures or
requirements. It's one of those items that becomes critical
during development if you haven't planned ahead. With Java,
iSeries developers usually have a good choice of debugging
options. You can select the one that best fits your debug
requirements. Debugging Java applications is a LARGE topic. This
tip from Web development expert Jim Mason points out your
options and some considerations for getting started.

http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci789575,00.html

Answers to Other Technical Questions

1. Building, deploying JSPs with WebSphere Studio
Get first-hand knowledge of how to use WebSphere Studio from
site experts Jim Mason and Dave Slater. They give you tips for
both designing JSP pages and debugging runtime errors in the
WebSphere Test Environment.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci761938,00.html

2. WebSphere setup on client and iSeries
One user writes, "We have installed the WebSphere Development Tools
on our PCs. We see that you have to have run STRCODE on the iSeries.
We are having trouble getting this going. Can anyone give us an idea
of what we need to do to get this set up on the iSeries and on our
PCs to be able to start developing VisualAge RPG?" Web development
expert Jim Mason has some advice.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^3@.ee84637/224

3. Specifics on 'extending' existing apps via WebSphere
This Member writes, "With regards to WebSphere being the tool of
choice to port legacy apps over to the Internet, (the previous
question's answer included this: 'extend existing iSeries 400
data and applications rapidly to the Web.') How specifically
will it 'extend' existing apps 'rapidly' to the Web? Web development
expert Jim Mason responds.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^2@.ee84637/230

4. Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications
Here's a good rundown of the options for administering Java
applications. Included is a list of tools with administration
support.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci778723,00.html

IMPORTANT FEATURES AND LINKS:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
LIVE AUDIO CHAT | Protect yourself from disaster: Backup
essentials

Who: Tom Huntington, vice president of technical services at
Help/Systems Inc.
When: Jan. 16, 2002 at 2:00 PM EST (19:00 GMT)

Tom will provide you with a clear understanding of what to back
up on your iSeries and when to back it up. Learn about running
the SAVSECDTA and SAVCFG commands, the benefits of journaling
your database, running unattended backups and more.

>>Pre-register for the event:
http://search400.techtarget.com/onlineEvents/0,289675,sid3,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DECEMBER WINNERS ANNOUNCED | Search400 tips contest

Congratulations to Mike Faust for winning search400's Tip of the
Month contest for December. Mike won a R.A.D. Robot and was
added to our Hall of Fame for his tip: "iSeries & AS/400 data in
an HTML table,"
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci785868,00.html
Congratulations also to our runner-up winners: Freddie Cogburn,
Timothy Grove and Azmat Bhatti.

NEW CONTEST FOR JANUARY: This month we're giving away an AMTc
Nightstar Night-Vision Spotting Scope. This night-vision
spotting scope sports a built-in standard infrared illuminator
and has great resolution, clarity and light gain. It's compact,
lightweight and small enough to slip into your shirt pocket.
Send in your tip -- you could be our next winner.

>> SUBMIT a Tip:
http://www.search400.com/tipsPrize/0,289492,sid3_prz786944_cts786942,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WIN A MICROSOFT XBOX | Refer a friend to search400

Here's your chance to win a Microsoft Xbox. Simply tell your
peers about the valuable tech tips, industry news, and expert
advice you get FREE from search400 and an Xbox could be yours.

>> Click for info on how to win:
http://search400.techtarget.com/referFriendContest/1,290949,sid3,00.html?promo_code=xbox

WEBSPHERE/WEB DEVELOPMENT FORUM  | Interact with your peers

Looking for a great place to mingle with your peers, ask or
answer Web related question, or just catch up on the latest
info? Check out the search400 WebSphere/Web Development Forum.
You'll be happy you did!

http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637!viewtype=&skip=&expand=

What other Web development issues do you have and/or need to
address? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our Web Development
experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285218,00.html

* Talk to other users about Web Development issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637

* Send your iSeries Web Development concerns directly to our
site editor, Michelle Davidson, at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
for feedback or suggestions.

*********************SEARCH400 CONTACTS***********************

MICHELLE DAVIDSON ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

KATE EVANS-CORREIA, News Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

GABRIELLE DERUSSY ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

**********************ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER************

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.