SEARCH400 | WebSphere Strategies Tip
January 24, 2002

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries Web
developer.

More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2fa,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers, and input from your peers for the following WebSphere
and Web development concerns:

Today's Featured WebSphere Strategies Tip:
    Java -- more than just a language

Answers to Other Technical Questions:
   1. Options for debugging Java applications
   2. WebFacing DDS keyword support
   3. Problems installing WebSphere
   4. Auto restart of WebSphere Application Server

Important Announcements and Links:
   - Current Poll: What do you use to get apps on the Web?
   - Tips Contest: Win an AMTc Nightstar Scope
   - Featured Book: e-Deployment: The Fastest Path to the Web
   - WebSphere/Web Development Forum: Interact with your peers
   - Advice: Web Development Experts

**FREE Online Seminars: Change Management Solutions**
Are you moving to e-business applications? Are you developing for
the Web? Are you enhancing your applications with middleware like
WebSphere? If so, Aldon Affiniti will help make your application
renewal process seamless. Use Affiniti for all your multi-
platform development. Manage both iSeries and open systems code
through a single GUI. Find out how by attending a FREE online
seminar at:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3841186;5058249;p?http://www.aldon.com/cgi-bin/banner.pl?src=WS

Today's Featured Tip

Java -- more than just a language

The debate continues over what is better RPG or Java. They both
have their good points and their bad points, but Java has a
distinct advantage, according to Web development expert Bob
Cancilla. It isn't the fact that Java is portable, or new, that
makes it a preferable choice for developing systems today. It is
object-oriented without the technical challenges and baggage of
C++ or other object-oriented languages.

http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci797945,00.html

Answers to Other Technical Questions

1. Options for debugging Java applications
Debugging applications isn't usually an important consideration
when you're deciding on application architectures or
requirements. It's one of those items that becomes critical
during development if you haven't planned ahead. This
tip from Web development expert Jim Mason points out your
options and some considerations for getting started.
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci789575,00.html

2. WebFacing DDS keyword support
One user writes, "We want to try out WebFacing and we've not yet
installed and configured WAS 3.5. In the meantime, we've surveyed
our candidate applications to see if the keyword support was
available and we saw some problems. Will the WebFacing conversion
tool allow me to ignore unsupported keywords, or will I have to
change the application? What is the recommended approach to
resolving unsupported keywords?" Web development expert Jim Mason
responds.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^2@.ee84637/229

3. Problems installing WebSphere
This member is getting an unknown exception command while doing
the TCP/IP configuration in the fifth step. Another search400 member
steps in to share some advice.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84637/255!viewtype=convdate&skip=&expand=

4. Auto restart of WebSphere Application Server
One member writes, "I have a WebSphere Application Server that needs
to be restarted weekly. The server connects to a secondary system
that is restarted and the application server doesn't reconnect. Can I
create a CL program and start the QSH environment from within the CL.
Read this post to see what advice other members gave.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^22@.ee84637/129

Storage is now a front and center issue. No longer "just
capacity," storage is a critical IT asset that must be managed
effectively. Increasingly complex, it's become a huge percentage
of your overall IT budget. That's why we created Storage
magazine, a new resource to help you set your storage strategy,
manage storage effectively, and make key vendor selection and
architecture decisions. Subscribe today FREE and as a bonus you
get the FREE 42-page Storage Networking special report!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3802160;5058249;e?http://www.storagemagazine.com

IMPORTANT FEATURES AND LINKS:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
TAKE OUR NEW POLL | search400 Reader Survey

What technology do you prefer for getting your applications on
the Web?

>> Cast your Vote:
http://www.search400.com/poll

SEARCH400 TIPS CONTEST | Win an AMTc Nightstar Scope

We're getting closer to the end of this month's contest -- and
your chance to win an AMTc Nightstar Night-Vision Spotting Scope.
Send in your administrator or programmer tip today to enter to
win.

>> SUBMIT a Tip:
http://www.search400.com/tipsPrize/0,289492,sid3_prz786944_cts786942,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
THIS WEEK'S FEATURED BOOK | search400's Bookstore

Title: e-Deployment: The Fastest Path to the Web
Author: Joe Pluta

This book is both a how-to manual and a comprehensive analysis
of e-deployment, the innovative new strategy for putting your
existing iSeries 400 legacy applications on the Web.
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Books&product%5Fid=1583470212&partner_id=55

WEBSPHERE/WEB DEVELOPMENT FORUM  | Interact with your peers

Looking for a great place to mingle with your peers, ask or
answer Web-related question, or just catch up on the latest
info? Check out the search400 WebSphere/Web Development Forum.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637!viewtype=&skip=&expand=

WEB DEVELOPMENT EXPERTS | Advice: search400

Web Development gurus Jim Mason and Dave Slater answer your
toughest Web development and WebSphere questions. If Java has you
confused or your Web development project has hit a wall, our
experts can help.

http://search400.techtarget.com/ateAnswers/0,289620,sid3_tax285218,00.html

>> Click here to post your question...
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285218,00.html

*********************SEARCH400 CONTACTS***********************

TIP MAILBOX, (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
لل >> Send us feedback on tips and ideas for new tip content.

MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

KATE EVANS-CORREIA, News Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

**********************ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER************

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.