SEARCH400 | WebSphere Strategies Tip
Feb. 21, 2002

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries Web
developer.

More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2fa,00.html
In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers, and input from your peers for the following WebSphere
and Web development concerns:

Today's Featured WebSphere Strategies Tip:
  - Eliminate WebSphere team deployment headache

Answers to Other Technical Questions:
  1. Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications
  2. Basic WebSphere troubleshooting concepts
  3. WebSphere setup on client and iSeries
  4. Problems distributing programs

Important Announcements and Links:
  - New Monthly Newsletter: Top Expert Advice
  - Featured Book: Enterprise Java Programming with IBM WebSphere
  - WebSphere/Web Development Forum: Interact with your peers
  - Advice: Web Development Experts

***FREE Enterprise JavaBeans Training Course ($149 value)****

As a member of search400, you are entitled to the free CD-ROM
Training Course "Enterprise JavaBeans" ($149 value). With this
course you will learn how Enterprise JavaBeans work and be able to
create and use them with distributed applications.  Just click below
to order. Shipping charges may apply.
http://nous.gofcs.com/?s=52&p=courses&t=outline&i=FC1011&m=20640j

Today's Featured Tip

Eliminate WebSphere team deployment headache

IBM has made some significant enhancements to WebSphere's
Administrative Console with the introduction of V4.01 Advanced
Edition. Unfortunately, the product's origins on the NT platform
present challenges to multi-user machines like the iSeries. What do
you do if you have more than one developer or development teams
working in one WebSphere environment? How do you control who has
access to what? E-business expert Bob Cancilla tells you.

http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci803124,00.html

Answers to Other Technical Questions

1. Introduction to QShell: Administer Java applications
Several tools, such as FTP, WebSphere Studio and WebSphere tools for
WebSphere applications, can help you administer Java applications.
But for more advanced or more automated administration tasks, Java
administrators will need the power of QShell. Find out if QShell is
the right tool for you in this tip by Web development experts Jim
Mason and Dave Slater.
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci778723,00.html

2.Basic WebSphere troubleshooting concepts
If you're new to WebSphere, you're sure to come upon some problems
that you need help figuring out. This tip introduces WebSphere basic
concepts and a simple process to help identify some WebSphere
configuration problems quickly.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci800522,00.html

3. WebSphere setup on client and iSeries
This user says they're moving to a model 820 and have installed
WebSphere Development Tools on their PCs. The problem is they can't
get STRCODE to run on the iSeries. Site expert Jim Mason offers some
advice.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^2@.ee84637/224

4. Problems distributing programs

THE SCENARIO: DB2/400 is returning a result set to VB. When there are
multiple concurrent users, user A and user B will both get user A's
result set.

THE SOLUTION: Web development expert Jim Mason says there are two
things to look into: 1. CL programs pass variables by reference, not
value. 2. Is the DB connection used by users A and B the same?

Read Jim's complete answer.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid432350_tax285218,00.html

STORAGE MAGAZINE EDITORIAL HIGHLIGHTS: MARCH ISSUE
Here's a preview of our March topics:

** Strategies to Manage the Explosion of Customer Data.
** Storage Professionals are Hot. (A snapshot of the evolution of
the storage profession.)
** How to Make NAS Work with Microsoft Exchange.
** A Guide to Secure SANS.
** Plus how Sept. 11 changed disaster recovery for all of us, and
what's been learned about the use of tape, electronic and disk
backup.

FREE 42-page storage networking special report with your FREE
subscription. Subscribe today at:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3802160;5058249;e?http://www.storagemagazine.com

IMPORTANT FEATURES AND LINKS:

NEW MONTHLY NEWSLETTER | Top Expert Advice newsletter

The Top Expert Advice newsletter was designed to help iSeries
professionals manage tasks they deal with regularly. Each month
we will give you expert advice on such topics as security, backup
and recovery, Web development and application development.

To receive this newsletter, simply edit your member profile at
http://search400.techtarget.com/editSummary/1,291026,sid3,00.html
and check Top Expert Advice newsletter under the Tips section.

THIS WEEK'S FEATURED BOOK | search400's Bookstore

Title: Enterprise Java Programming with IBM WebSphere
Author: Kyle Brown, Russell Stinehour, Dr. Gary Craig, David
Pitt, Greg Hester and Jaime Niswonger

This hands-on guide delves into Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE),
servlets, JavaServer Pages and Enterprise JavaBeans. It provides
techniques for an efficient e-commerce solution.
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog_name=Books&category_name=&product_id=0201616173&partner_id=55

WEBSPHERE/WEB DEVELOPMENT FORUM  | Interact with your peers

Looking for a great place to mingle with your peers, ask or
answer Web-related question, or just catch up on the latest
info? Check out the search400 WebSphere/Web Development Forum.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637!viewtype=&skip=&expand=

>>Read these recent discussion threads...

* Basic HTML and user sign on
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^5@.ee84637/260

* Web enabling of AS/400 application
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637/244

WEB DEVELOPMENT EXPERTS | Advice: search400

Web Development gurus Jim Mason and Dave Slater answer your
toughest Web development and WebSphere questions. If Java has you
confused or your Web development project has hit a wall, our
experts can help.

http://search400.techtarget.com/ateAnswers/0,289620,sid3_tax285218,00.html

>> Click here to post your question...
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285218,00.html

QUALIFY TO ATTEND OUR FREE WINDOWS CONFERENCE

Don't miss our Windows Decisions conference May 8-10 at the
Hilton Chicago Hotel. Attend and discover:

** How to succeed with Active Directory.
** Hidden tactics to lower your TCO.
** Best practices for Windows 2000 systems management.
** End-to-end network administration strategies.
** How to solve your top 10 Windows interoperability problems.
** And more.

View full session info and apply today for FREE attendance at
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3903304;5058249;g?http://www.windowsdecisions.com/

*********************SEARCH400 CONTACTS***********************

TIP MAILBOX, (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  >> Send us feedback on tips and ideas for new tip content.

MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

KATE EVANS-CORREIA, News Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

**********************ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER************

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this
message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register and adjust your
subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you must
send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which this
newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE"
request to be processed.