June 11, 2001

SearchDatabase Member:

Rumor has it there was a time when Structured Query Language (SQL)
was easy to use. Whether you remember those days or if you think this
is a tall tale from an era long past, we have resources to help you
get the most from this language. This week's email features a number
of items to help both the SQL beginner AND the master.

* Search: SQL
* Best Web Links: SQL
* Recommended Reading: Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
* Recommended Reading II: Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties
* Mark Your Calendar: Talk to the Author, Joe Celko
* Database Developer Tip: Trees in SQL
* Database Developer Tip II: Creating Test Data with SQL
* Ask the SQL Expert: Rudy Limeback
* Buyer's Guide: SQL
* Did You Attend Last Week's DB2 on Linux Event?
* Quick Takes: Making headway with Java and C++
* Featured Destination: searchWebManagement.com

SEARCH: SQL
The best way to quickly find comprehensive resources on any
database-related topic is to use our newly enhanced searchDatabase
Search Engine. You will get comprehensive results from within
searchDatabase and from the best database technology-specific sites
from across the Internet. For a sampling of what you can find, check
out the results of this search for "SQL":
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/integratedSearchResults/1,289503,sid13,00.html?query=SQL

BEST WEB LINKS: SQL
Our Best Web Links section features links to resources from around
the Web, hand-picked and updated daily by our editorial team. Come
see what we've found for you on SQL:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid13_tax281606,00.html

RECOMMENDED READING
"Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes" by Ben Forta
This tutorial-based book is organized into a series of
easy-to-follow, 10-minute lessons. These well-targeted lessons teach
you in 10 minutes what some books take several hours or days to
teach. Order from us for fast shipping and a great price:
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=0672316641&ac_id=58

RECOMMENDED READING II
"Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming, Second
Edition"
Inside, logic- and set-based analyses replace the traditional,
procedural approach to problem-solving, helping you make the
conceptual leap that separates an SQL guru from the rest of the pack.
As you catch on to Celko's approach, you'll devour what he has to say
about some of SQL's toughest topics: how aggregate functions really
work, the best way to work with NULLs, how and why to fake array
structures, and much more. If you're serious about SQL, you won't let
"SQL for Smarties" out of your sight.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1558605762&ac_id=58

MARK YOUR CALENDAR: TALK TO THE AUTHOR
Mark your calendar for Thursday, June 28 at 11:00 AM EDT (15:00 GMT)
for a Live Expert Q&A on "SQL for Smarties" with the author himself,
Joe Celko. Get your questions answered - from the simple to the
complex - by one of the world's top SQL experts in our Live Expert
Q&A.
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/onlineEvents/0,289675,sid13,00.html

** Please Note: SearchDatabase on-line events have been upgraded to
provide live audio and supporting visuals. To take part in these
exciting new audio/visual events, all you need is to be a member of
searchDatabase, plus speakers and Windows Media Player on your PC.
Audio test your system before the event.

DATABASE DEVELOPER TIP
"Trees in SQL"
Check out this tip from SQL expert Joe Celko on "Trees in SQL."
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci537290,00.html

DATABASE DEVELOPER TIP II
"Creating Test Data with SQL"
This tip, from searchDatabase member Judith S. Bowman, shows you how
to create data that you can work with when designing, testing, or
tweaking your database application. Go to:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci518596,00.html

ASK THE SQL EXPERT: RUDY LIMEBACK
"Ask the Experts" is the place to get your toughest administration
and development questions answered by some of the leading authorities
in the database industry.

Have an SQL question? Our expert, Rudy Limeback, is ready for all of
your challenging questions. Ask him at:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid13_tax285649,00.html

And, come see what questions your peers posted and how Rudy answered
them:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateAnswers/0,289620,sid13_cid376817_tax285649,00.html

BUYER'S GUIDE: SQL
Research and buy products from leading vendors in the Database
industry in our Buyer's Guide section. This week, check out our SQL
category with contact information, company profiles, and links to
company Web sites.
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/buyersGuideBrowseCategory/0,289637,sid13_tax282097_pag1_typcat_srtE,00.html

DID YOU ATTEND LAST WEEK'S DB2 ON LINUX EVENT?
This event featured IBM's DB2 for Linux team taking questions on the
latest release of DB2, v7.2, and how it runs on Linux in the
enterprise. If you missed the event, fret not. We have it covered. Go
to:
http://www.italkservices.com/s.i?t=v&p=13967&i=1&U=da98b1ea-5ad7-11d5-a8db-00d0b79d93bf&SA=1

QUICK TAKES
Making headway with Java and C++
By: John Hogan, News Editor
Headway Software releases a source code visualization tool for Java
and C++, and Data Advantage Group integrates the Business Objects
Developer Suite into its analytic data management technology, in this
edition of Quick Takes.
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid13_gci556983,00.html?Exclusive=True

FEATURED DESTINATION: searchWebManagement.com
As IT professionals, we all have something in common. Whether it's
part of your job description or not, you are responsible for the
success of your company's Web site. But how do you find the time to
stay ahead of rapidly evolving Web technology and still keep up with
your day job? You can't -- unless you sign up today for
SearchWebManagement.com http://www.searchwebmanagement.com
You get all the same great benefits of SearchDatabase.com, only
dedicated to managing Web technology. Update your member profile
today to get the practical information needed to plan, build and
maintain your Web site!

Please forward this email to colleagues who can also benefit from
this targeted information on searchDatabase. Stay tuned for more
weekly updates on the wealth of services available to you as a
member!

SearchDatabase is a TechTarget.com community site. To become a
member of any or all of our search engine sites, just click on the
"Edit Your Profile" link at the top of searchDatabase and update as
you like.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.