October 1, 2001

IN THIS ISSUE
__________________________________
* From the editor: DB2 and so much more
* Featured Topic: DB2 Best Practices
* Expert Technical Advice:
  - New expert advice, forums posts and tech tips
* Site Highlights:
  - Oracle-specific database tips delivered directly to your in-box
  - Featured Topics Library
  - Live Expert Q&A with Shaku Atre -- October 18th

FROM THE EDITOR
__________________________________
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

We're featuring the DB2 side of searchDatabase this week -- community
support, expert advice, original analysis and the best collection of
web links anywhere -- but don't fret if DB2 isn't your thing. As our
long-time members know, we are independent and vendor-neutral to a
fault. Use our slick new TargetSearch functionality at the following
link:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/integratedSearchAdvanced/0,289518,sid13,00.html
to scan the thousands of resources we have compiled about every
flavor of DBMS. If you see us lacking somewhere, email me at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with suggestions of what you'd like
to see. I'd especially like to hear from users of "old-school"
systems such as Pick, dBASE, IMS, or Ingres. I'll read and respond to
every email personally!

FEATURED TOPIC
__________________________________
DB2 Best Practices

In recognition of IBM's DB2 and Business Intelligence Technical
Conference this week in Orlando, we've collected a slew of
DB2-related resources for your entertainment and education: tips,
tutorials, advice, reviews, comparisons, and much more. If you have
DB2 questions, we have the answers! Go to:
http://www.searchDatabase.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid13_gci772962,00.html

EXPERT TECHNICAL ADVICE
__________________________________

Featured Expert: Craig Mullins, Director of DB2 Technology Planning,
BMC Software
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateExpertBio/0,289623,sid13_cid383906,00.html

Category: IBM DB2
Have a tough question about DB2 development or administration? DB2
super-guru Craig Mullins -- the guy who wrote the book on DB2
development -- can surely help. Post your questions to Craig at:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid13_tax285651,00.html

And view all of Craig's answers here:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateAnswers/0,289620,sid13_tax285651,00.html

THIS WEEK IN THE FORUMS
>> DB2 for OS/390
Forums poster "Gego" has a general question about experiences with
DB2 v7 for OS/390. Can anybody out there offer any insights? If so,
go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum at:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/forums/0,289802,sid13_fid1,00.html

>> PowerBuilder 5 and DB2 v7.1 on Linux
Forums poster "bobocaca" is wondering if anybody has personal
experience with connecting PowerBuilder to DB2. If you can help, go
to our "Data Warehousing and Analysis" forum at:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/forums/0,289802,sid13_fid1,00.html

TIP OF THE WEEK
Effective DB2 performance when using someone else's SQL

When faced with tuning someone else's SQL, you have two basic
choices. You can either add or drop indexes from the application
schema, or you can add or expand DB2 buffer pools. This highly rated
tip gives the details on both approaches. Get it at:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci745818,00.html

SITE HIGHLIGHTS
__________________________________
>> Oracle Users: Sign Up Today
Get Oracle-specific database tips delivered directly to your in-box.
This service will always be free. Click here and check off "Oracle
Tips" in the Tips & Columns section.
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid13,00.html

>> Featured Topics Library
Get our comprehensive reports from the past several weeks. When a
Featured Topic report is no longer on our homepage, it's not gone
forever. Bookmark this page for all the reports.
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid13,00.html

>> Live Expert Q&A with Shaku Atre
Thursday, October 18th at 1:30 PM EDT (17:30 GMT)
The management of "data about data" is critical to a successful data
warehouse implementation. Plan to attend this real-time presentation
and Q&A, "Building a Metadata Repository Step-by-Step." Get free
advice from an innovative leader in the field of database technology.
Pre-register today!
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/onlineEvents/0,289675,sid13,00.html

SQL & Java Together
__________________________________
This book examines all the standards for combining SQL and Java. For
more information or to purchase this book, go to:
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog_name=Books&category_name=&product_id=1558605622&partner_id=77

EBiz Case Studies
__________________________________
As a member of searchEBusiness, you'll gain access to free Management
and Technology Case Studies. Find the latest case-studies on the
issues such as: Management Strategy, Funding and Investment,
Marketing and Selling, Marketplaces and Portals, E-Commerce
Initiatives, Content/Document Management, Security, Web Hosting/Site
Management and much more!

Simply log on TODAY using your searchDatabase member ID and password
at http://www.searchebusiness.com

Are you getting this member update in HTML?
__________________________________
If not, update your searchDatabase registration to get this weekly
update with full HTML graphics. Click on the following link and
adjust your preferences option (beneath your e-mail address).
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid13,00.html

Please forward this email to colleagues who can also benefit from
this targeted information database technology. Stay tuned for more
weekly updates on the wealth of services available to you as a
member!

SearchDatabase is a TechTarget community site. To become a member of
any or all of our search engine sites, just click on the "Edit Your
Profile" link at the top of searchDatabase and update as you like.
http://www.searchdatabase.com

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.