Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
searchDatabaseThis Week
 November 26, 2001
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Paper tigers unite!
>> Featured Topic: Certification: Worth the pain?
>> Expert Technical Advice:
* Expert Advice: SQL
* Discussions: Problem converting database type
* Tip of the Week: XML support in SQL Server 2000
>> Site Highlights:
* Oracle 9i Instant PL/SQL Scripts
* SQL Server Tips
* Audio Archive: Bill Inmon

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Paper tigers unite!
The job outlook for DBA's has always been good and is likely to remain so in 2002 despite the weak economy. Nonetheless, continual training and certification can never hurt - indeed, it's a prerequisite for the modern DBA. Whichever Vendor certification you persue, searchDatabase.com has the resources you need to learn more.

This week's featured topic is dedicated to offering you the news and tips you need to keep abreast of the latest in certification. And don't forget about our bookstore, which has dozens of database certification guides: Oracle exam preparations, for example.

Plus, you can compare your salary with 2,400 other DBA's and database developers in our Interactive Salary Survey. What kind of career resources would you like to see more of on searchDatabase? Email me with your thoughts and feel free to share your training/certification war stories and advice in our DBA Water Cooler forum.

Till next time, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Certification: Worth the pain?
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
Database certifications abound, with Oracle, Microsoft and IBM leading the pack. But, what do the experts think about the value of experience versus certification? Is it worth the time and money? More inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert: Rudy Limeback, Web and SQL Design Consultant, r937.com

Category: SQL
Have a tough question about SQL scripting or query design? SQL expert extraordinaire Rudy Limeback can surely help.

View all answers from SQL Expert, Rudy Limeback

This Week: In the forums
>> Problem converting database type
Member "sudhir" asks: "I am using MySQL 3.22, which uses the ISAM type for database. Now that I moved my Web site to another server with MySQL 3.23, which uses the MYISAM type. How can I convert *.ISD files to *.MYD files?" Go to our "Database-Web Connectivity" forum to help him out.

>> "SqlState of 37000" error?
Sarah has written some C++ code that connects to the SQL Server through an ODBC connection using SQLConnect API. She asks: "Why doesn't the SQL API know that the server I'm trying to connect to is offline till I execute SQLExecDirect and it returns the error 'SqlState of 37000'?" Sarah has been waiting a while for an answer! Can anybody offer any advice in our "DBA Water Cooler" forum?

Tip of the Week:
XML can be used with SQL Server 2000 in three different ways: extensions to Transact-SQL, integration of SQL Server and Internet Information Server (IIS), and using XML Updategrams. This tip is a detailed introduction to the first method.
>> XML support in SQL Server 2000

 Site Highlights

Hot New Database Book
"Oracle 9i Instant PL/SQL Scripts" by Loney, Thakkar & Carmichael
Just released, this book offers a complete guide to developing PL/SQL solutions quickly and easily. Order today!

SQL Server Tips
Aggregated from searchDatabase Members
Use this page as a quick reference -- add a tip of your own for your chance to win a free Olympus Camedia D-370 Digital Camera!
Audio Archive: Bill Inmon
Live Expert Q&A: “Exploration and Data Mining”
Bill Inmon – “the father of data warehousing” – last week was the guest in a special Live Expert Q&A on searchDatabase. The entire event is now available for free download. The discussion centered on the infrastructure needed to execute effective data mining. Check it out!
This event was sponsored by: Syncsort

NEW Storage Magazine
Set strategy, make key decisions & manage storage effectively. Discover the benefits of this new storage resource! Subscribe today FREE or forward to your storage colleagues.
Get it free

Storage Innovators
See how three award winners implemented highly efficient storage systems with limited budgets and impressive ROI by tapping existing hardware. Then sign up for the Storage Innovators newsletter.
Register Today!

Online Survey
What are your top three database-related projects?
Let us know!

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2001 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.