Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
searchDatabaseThis Week
 January 2, 2002
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Welcome to 2002
>> Featured Topic: Data storage in 2002
>> Expert Technical Advice:
* Featured Expert: Douglas Barry
* SQL Server start error
* Delete duplicate records
>> Site Highlights:
* Sybase: The Frictionless Enterprise
* The Top 5 of 2001
* Upgrading to Oracle 9i

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Welcome to 2002!

By now, you've read a lot of predictions -- dire or not-so-dire -- about the upcoming year. In a nutshell, here were my relatively safe predictions:

  • Renewed focus on the essentials: availability, security, reliability, performance and ROI.
  • Rise of web services: XML, J2EE, .NET
  • Appearance of petabyte-sized databases; increased need for analysis and BI systems
  • Recovery of Oracle
  • Increased remote data administration; wireless DBMS's
What do you, the members of searchDatabase.com and the true experts in the trenches, think about the upcoming year in the data management industry? I posed that question in our forums a few weeks ago, and here is a selection of the responses:
  • Brian said: "One of the latest trends is to introduce more features to make database management easier on the DBA. While some of the more mundane, day-to-day tasks may become more automated, I still see an important role for the DBA in the organization. Instead of worrying about the details of managing one particular aspect of the database, the database will take care of that aspect itself. This will free up the DBA to work on higher-level concerns.
  • Zaj said: "There is going to be a concurrence of a lot of databases with a very diversified content. The peak will occur when virtual reality applications arrive at the market."
  • Homeybear said: "Less people doing more work with less of a budget means increased generalization of our skills and decreased depth. Proliferating operating systems and servers and development languages seem destined to continue this trend. In short, the DBA now has to worry about corporate management issues when making recommendations as well as the technical and operational efficiency issues that seem to cross all departments.
  • HSM says: "There won't be a big array of different DBMSs around. The market will be dominated by three players: MS SQL Server in Windows arena, DB2 in IBM shops, and Oracle in UNIX, Windows and IBM shops... As DBMSs are loaded with new features on top of old ones, it will be harder and take more work. However, this is driven by application and market readiness -- both of which have slowed down lately and won't pick up quickly in the next couple of months unless there is a dramatic change in the world economic climate for the better."

In December, 2002 I'll revisit all these predictions and determine who was the best prognosticator. One thing is certain though, it's going to be a lively year! As always, let me know if we're covering the issues important to you... and have a great new year!

Cheers,
Tim DiChiara, Editor

 Featured Topic:

Data storage in 2002
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
One of the most important functions of a DBA in 2002 will be storage management: the backup and recovery of business-critical data. But how do you keep up with emerging technologies such as DAS, SAN, and NAS? We have the answers you need inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert: Douglas Barry, Founder, Barry & Associates, Inc.

Category: Object-oriented databases
Successful consultant, executive director of the Object Data Management Group and the author of numerous OODBMS books, Doug is more than able to answer your toughest questions about object-oriented databases.

Pose a question for Douglas Barry here:

This Week: In the forums
>> SQL Server start error
Member "Irina" is using SQL Server on NT4 but gets the error ""NETLIB SuperSocket info: Failed to get Exclusive port use(MSAFD Tcpip (TCP/IP)) : Error 10013" when SQL Server starts. She needs to use C2 security and has to avoid using the system account. Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you can help Irina solve this problem.
>> SSADM Dialogue design techniques
Member "Luke" asks if anyone knows anything about this subject. He is particularly interested in how useful these techniques are, the constraints, and the alternatives that may be considered. Are they really useful in today's world? Can anybody offer any advice in our "Data Warehousing and Data Analysis" forum

Tip of the Week:
Here is a short Oracle script that deletes duplicate records from a table based on the unique columns selected.
>> Delete duplicate records

 Site Highlights

Sybase: The Frictionless Enterprise
Register now for this Real-Time Vendor Connection on our sister site searchHP.com
Find out how Sybase can help your enterprise build an e-business platform “one step at a time.” Pre-register today.

The Top 5 of 2001
Check out the five most popular searchDatabase Featured Topic reports of 2001
We covered everything from replication to normalization, and SQL to XML in 2001. Click here for the most popular.
Upgrading to Oracle 9i
Live Expert Q&A: Tuesday January 8th at 1:00 PM EST (18:00 GMT)
Tom Kyte's best-selling book, Expert One on One: Oracle, has been called "perhaps the best book about Oracle products ever put out." Take advantage of Tom's knowledge and experience by getting answers to your 9i migration questions in this exclusive live event.

Win an Xbox System
Tell your peers and staff about searchDatabase and you could win!
Details Here!

Oracle Tips
Get helpful hints emailed free -- update your searchDatabase membership today.
Sign Up Here!

Keep Solaris Secure
Keep your Solaris systems and networks secure with the FREE security resources found on searchSolaris. Register today and sign up for our Security Tips.
Sign up today!

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2001 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.