Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
searchDatabaseThis Week
 January 7, 2002
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: 2002 begins with a bang
>> Featured Topic: Upgrading to Oracle 9i
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tech tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Tomorrow: Upgrading to Oracle 9i
* More Oracle Tips
* The Frictionless Enterprise by Sybase

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

searchDatabase.com is starting out the new year with a bang. Check out these four new features on the site:

  • Live chat with Oracle guru Tom Kyte. The bestselling author of "Expert one on one: Oracle" will be appearing live on Tuesday, Jan at 1:00 PM EST (18:00 GMT). Don't miss this chance to hear Tom's introduction to the coolest new features of 9i and the reasons to upgrade. He'll also take your questions!
  • Ask the Database Experts. This new email newsletter will feature high-quality answers to tough questions submitted by you, searchDatabase.com members. Topics include Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, data warehousing, SQL, database design, metadata, object databases, and more. To subscribe, login, go the registration page, and check the appropriate box.
  • Best Web Services Links. Web services hype is in full gear now, but the technologies underlying it (Java, XML, .NET) have been building for some time. Learn more, including tutorials, tips, and expert advice, in our new collection of the best web links out there.
  • New Fabian Pascal column. This month, Pascal trounces MySQL for not being a DBMS - let alone a relational one -- and invites readers to test themselves on their ability to see through the prevailing fallacies and misconceptions in the database industry.

Till next time,

Tim DiChiara

 Featured Topic:

Upgrading to Oracle 9i
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
Is your enterprise in the process of migrating to Oracle 9i? Still considering whether or not to make the move? Ask a top Oracle expert and author -- not to mention the VP of Core Technologies at Oracle -- your 9i questions. Tom Kyte will be live on searchDatabase this Tuesday, January 8, at 1 PM (EST). More great Oracle 9i resources are inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert: Brian Peasland, Database Administrator, Raytheon, Inc.

Category: Oracle
Brian has been in the IT field for 14 years working as a Computer Operator, Operations Analyst, Systems Administrator, Application Developer, and finally a Database Administrator. He holds a B.S. in Computer Science and a M.S. in Computer Science specializing in Database Systems. Additionally, Brian holds OCP DBA credentials for Oracle 7.3, 8, and 8i. Ask him your tough Oracle questions!

View all of Brian Peasland's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> Sybase basics
Member "Mary" wants to understand the basic structure of Sybase. Her company is migrating from Access to Sybase & IBM Web-sphere and so she would like to know what she's talking about! Go to our DBA Water Cooler forum if you can help her out.
>> ASP database connect error
Member "MyLife Services" is struggling with an Access/ASP app that gives a ODBC driver error. Can anybody offer some advice in our Database-Web Connectivity forum?

Tip of the Week:
Need to work with SQL Server data tables that are not familiar to you? Have to compare database tables in the production environment with their counterparts on development, quality assurance or testing servers? If any of these describes your job responsibilities, you need to learn the architecture of the SQL Server system tables and how to query them effectively. In this article Baya shows you how to use some of the most frequently accessed system tables: sysobjects, syscolumns and sysindexes. He also shows you several examples of how these tables can help you do your job.
>> Using system tables to your advantage

 Site Highlights

Tomorrow: Upgrading to Oracle 9i
Live Expert Q&A: Tuesday January 8th at 1:00 PM EST (18:00 GMT)
Join author and Oracle guru Thomas Kyte for a technical discussion on the coolest features of the Oracle 9i.

More Oracle Tips
Get advice from experts and peers on “all things Oracle”
This email service has been increased to two issues per month. This will always be free – register today!
The Frictionless Enterprise by Sybase
Real-Time Vendor Connection: Wednesday, January 9th at Noon EST (17:00 GMT)
Join Neil McGovern, Director of eBusiness Product Strategy, Sybase, to find out how Sybase can help your enterprise build an e-business platform “one step at a time” while integrating the tools and systems that you choose. Register today and get a copy of the white paper, “An Integration Architecture for eBusiness.”

Win an Xbox System.
This week is your last chance to win an Xbox video game system from searchDatabase.
Act Today!

ERP, CRM, BI, E-bus…
If you are involved in any of them, you need to consider SAP. Update your member profile today for FREE searchSAP newsletters and tech tips to make the best SAP decisions.
Register Here!

Not For Net Admins!
“Win2000 in the Enterprise” is an eNewsletter for IT folks (like DBAs) that work in Win2k environments. Get info on topics like db administration and storage. Subscribe today.
Sign Up Here!

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2001 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.