Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
searchDatabaseThis Week
 January 21, 2002
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Fun with tech tips redux
>> Featured Topic: Whither Sybase?
>> Expert Technical Advice:
* Featured Expert: Mike Lampa
* DB2 Java UDF
* Adding an ORDER BY clause to a view
>> Site Highlights:
* Win $1,000 and get ERP survey data FREE
* The Convenience of Desktop Learning
* SearchDatabase Audio Archives

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Last week, I asked you to pick a poorly-rated tech tip and tell me the reason why you thought it was rated as such -- and how it could be improved. I received some excellent constructive criticism. Here is a sampling:

Thanks, and keep those comments coming. For example, what's wrong with this SQL Server tip or this Oracle tip? You senior DBA's out there: this is your chance to teach the newbies a thing or two! Of course, telling me how great a tip was would also be appreciated...

Cheers,
Tim DiChiara, Editor

 Featured Topic:

Whither Sybase?
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
Although a mobile DBMS leader, Sybase remains stuck in the single digits in overall market share. Now they are refocusing their efforts on enterprise integration. A good move, or is this the beginning of the end? More inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert: Mike Lampa, CEO, BAG, a business intelligence consultancy

Categories: Data warehousing/Implementation
Mike has over 21 years experience in strategic planning, program management, and designing, building and supporting data warehouse and operational data store implementations. Ask him your tough DW questions!

Ask a question for Mike Lampa here:

This Week: In the forums
>> DB2 Java UDF
Member "Steve" asks: Does anyone know if it is possible for a Java UDF in DB2 UDB (Win NT) to query the database in the same way that a Java Stored Procedure can? I have tried doing this using the "jdbc:default:connection" driver in the same way as for a stored procedure, the class compiles and installs ok but it returns a null result when it is run. Are Java UDF's unable to access the database? Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you can help Steve solve this problem.
>> Calling a COBOL/DB2 SP from a Java app
Member "Sujit" is looking for the steps involved in writing a stored procedure in COBOL+DB2 in s390 and calling it from a Java Application. What changes to the catalog table or environment variable need to be incorporated before the SP can run? Help him out in our "Data Warehousing and Data Analysis" forum.

Tip of the Week:
Microsoft says that you cannot put an ORDER BY clause in a SQL Server view definition. True...unless you do the following trick! (One reader didn't agree with the approach in this tip)-- what do you think? Email me here.
>> Adding an ORDER BY clause to a view

 Site Highlights

Win $1,000 and get ERP survey data FREE
Are you involved in your company’s operational decisions? Did you complete an ERP upgrade within the past 18 months?
If you answered YES to the 2 questions above, get a FREE copy of the results of this ERP survey and be entered to win $1,000 in cash.

The Convenience of Desktop Learning
Course: Relational Database Design and Administration
This course covers design methodologies and techniques used when building an application using SQL. Click here for more.
SearchDatabase Audio Archives
18 months of live events available in one place for your easy reference.
Atre, Hotek, Inmon, Kyte, Pascal … the list of speakers is a who’s who in the database field. These events cover a wide variety of database-specific topics – take a minute to peruse the list and then use these events as a personal consulting service.

Learn to Innovate
"The Information Architects" is the newsletter with innovative ideas for developing next-generation information architectures in areas like OS's, storage, servers, and more.
Sign Up Now!

Oracle Tips
Update your searchDatabase membership to subscribe to the free Oracle Tips service today.
Sign Up Today!

Networking Solutions
Need information on LAN/WAN deployment, router configuration, wireless network design and more? Register for searchNetworking today and get FREE comprehensive networking news, tips and expert advice.
Register Here!

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2001 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.