Title: TechTarget
a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
June 24, 2002>> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Scaling the heights with SQL Server
>> Featured Topic: Object databases
>> Expert Technical Advice: Featured Expert: Fabian Pascal
>> Site Highlights:
* Save 25% - on "SQL Data Management" training course
* Webcast Archive: XML Security Standards
* Live Webcast: "VLDBs using SQL Server" on June 26th at 1:00 PM EDT

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Is SQL Server ready to join the big boys in managing the biggest mission-critical databases?

Oracle and DB2 users might scoff at the notion, but SQL Server is making major gains in all segments of the DBMS market; Microsoft grew its market share by 18% in 2001 alone. Granted, much of this growth is in low-end applications, but SQL Server did recently join the others in Gartner's "Magic Quadrant" for enterprise OLTP systems. Although Microsoft has always relied on lower Total Cost of Ownership and better ease-of-use to push SQL Server, there is increasing evidence that SQL Server can handle the biggest multi-terabyte databases.

We'll be addressing the topic of SQL Server scalability into the Very Large Database (VLDB) realm this Wednesday June 26 at 1 pm EDT (17:00 GMT). Brain Goldstein, leader of Microsoft's SQL Server Scalability Team, will present a free webcast about his experiences, lessons learned, and best practices. He'll be describing how VLDBs behave differently, hardware concerns, the need for storage area networks, DTS tips, and backup challenges. Brian will also talk about the largest SQL Server database in the world: the 28 terabyte human genome project.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity to ask your questions about SQL Server scalability and get answers straight from the source. Pre-register now for this exclusive event.

Cheers, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Object databases
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
The ODBMS debate continues to rage. Are ODBMSs "regressive and fundamentally-flawed" or the wave of the XML-ified future? Can relational and object databases co-exist? Our experts weigh in with their analyses below...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Fabian Pascal Author and independent consultant

Categories:Database and relational fundamentals
Fabian is a well-known author, SearchDatabase columnist, and database industry critic. Ask him your tough questions about the relational model!
Submit a question for Fabian!

This Week: In the forums
>> Oracle OEM through firewall

Member "JDH" is having trouble getting OEM to discover a node through a CheckPoint firewall. Go to our "Database-web connectivity" forum if you can help "JDH" figure out the problem.

>> Installing Oracle 9i

Member "sam" is installing 9i on Windows, but is having trouble getting it started. What's the default password he should enter? Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you know the answer.

Tip of the Week:
This Oracle SQL*Plus script lets you list the KEPT status for PL/SQL objects (packages, procedures, functions, and triggers) in your database. You can show objects with a KEPT status of YES, NO, or both, and select the schema to show using standard Oracle wildcards. The script also lists the number of loads and executions for each object.
>> List the KEPT status for PL/SQL objects

 Site Highlights

SQL Data Management
Save 25% - order the "SQL Data Management" training course on CD-ROM before June 30.
Gain a grasp of SQL commands for manipulating data with this course. Learn commands to define tables, views and indexes.

Webcast Archive: XML Security Standards
Find out what the author of "XML Security" shared in last week's Webcast.
Access the archive of Blake Dournaee's discussion on XML security standards: XML signatures, XML encryption and XKMS.
Live Webcast: VLDBs using SQL Server
Join us at 1:00 PM EDT on June 26 for this Webcast with Microsoft's Brian Goldstein.
Brian Goldstein of the Microsoft SQL Server Scalability team takes you through building very large databases using SQL Server with:
* Real-world VLDB case studies
* Best practices and lessons learned
* Planning, implementation and management strategies

DW & BI Education
TDWI World Conference, Las Vegas, 8/18-8/23. Hot topics include: Building Real-Time Data Warehouses, Implementing Scorecards and Dashboards, BI for the Enterprise & More.
Attend TDWI

Calling all IT PROS
EBusiness affects all facets of IT. But how? Find out on SearchEBusiness. UPDATE your profile today to receive the latest daily news on ROI, XML, SCM, e-commerce and more.
Edit profile

White Paper Library
Browse through topics such as Data Warehousing, find a white paper by a specific author or search by keywords. You'll find more than 300 white papers - all free for members.
Find a paper

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
Created by TechTarget
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from.
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".