Title: TechTarget
a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
September 03, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this email
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Data administration bloopers
>> Featured Topic: XML: Hit or hype?
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Live Webcast: Database health check
* Take our user survey
* Get the results of our Oracle Report Card

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Admit it. You're not perfect.

Sure, we all make mistakes, but the mistakes of DBAs are writ large, amplified due the mission-critical nature of the job. It's one thing to spill coffee on your home PC; it's quite another to do the same on your bank's main production server.

I'm happy to announce a fun new feature on SearchDatabase: True DBA Bloopers. Submit your backup/recovery snafus, tuning disasters, and ugly upgrades. Stories of good intentions gone bad, over-ambitious and under-trained newbies, clueless consultants, and even more clueless managers will all be accepted. If you've accidentally turned off the power to your company's data center, then this contest is for you. (Yes, that has happened!) The more horrifying, amusing, and wince-inducing the tale, the better. For obvious reasons, you can remain anonymous if you wish.

The submitter of the "best" (worst?) blooper of the month will receive a free copy of Craig Mullins' new book Database administration: The complete guide to practices and procedures.

Let's learn from each other's mistakes. Or at least laugh at each other's expense. Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with your true DBA blooper.

Have a good week, Tim

 Featured Topic:

XML: Hit or hype?
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
XML began as a simple markup language for defining and sharing documents containing structured data. Then came query features and database integration. The resources inside will help you understand and use XML with your DBMS...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Jason Law Senior Database Architect, PowerQuest Corp.

Category: SQL
Jason is an Oracle Certified Professional and a seasoned Systems Architect with more than twelve years experience in information technology. He has experience in data design, web applications, data warehousing, system integration, and project management. Ask him your tough SQL questions!
View all Jason's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> Ingres connection to Asp.NET

Here's a tough one. Member "shashi" is trying to connect an Asp.NET application to an Ingres database. Does anybody have any tutorials about how to do this? Go to our "Database-Web Connectivity" forum if you can offer any advice.

>> ASP 0177 (0x8007007E) Error

Member "yonelay" had an app that was working on PWS but all heck broke loose when he switched to IIS on Windows 2000: he gets an ASP 0177 (0x8007007E) error. Go to our "Database-Web Connectivity" forum if you can help "yonelay" figure out the problem.

Tip of the Week:
On August 16, data management expert and author Craig Mullins gave an excellent Webcast titled "Database Administration 101." Here are answers to audience questions that Craig didn't have time to address.
>> Craig Mullins answers your database administration questions

 Site Highlights

Database health check on September 19
Find out if your Oracle database is fit in this Webcast with Quest Software
Your database may not be at peak performance. Don't be held back by your database; discover hidden issues in this Webcast.

Take our user survey
Help us improve the look, navigation and usability of SearchDatabase.com
We want your feedback. Tell us what you think about our site features in this user survey.
Get the results of our Oracle Report Card
Subscribe to the Daily News today for the survey results
You know what the media is saying about Oracle. Find out what Oracle users think. After asking 500 Oracle users for their opinions, the responses are now in and tallied. The results and analysis of this research will be published in upcoming issues of the Daily News e-mail newsletter -- subscribe today to be in the know.

IT Security Research
SearchSecurity.com recently surveyed 500 security pros to learn what's changed in IT security during the past year. Get the results via a Special Report and upcoming Webcast.
More details

Storage Decisions
Attend a live interview with Joseph M. Tucci, President and CEO of EMC Corporation to hear how EMC is addressing industry needs. Apply for free attendance to Storage Decisions.
Click here

How's your salary?
Take the SearchDatabase.com salary survey today and see which IT jobs pay the most. Find out if a big degree means more money and if larger companies pay more.
Take the survey

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
Created by TechTarget
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from.
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".