Title: TechTarget
a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
September 09, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this email
 In this Issue

>> From the Editor: Tip winners
>> Featured Topic: DBMS reviews & comparisons
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Do a health check on your Oracle database
* E-business standards Webcast on September 26
* The importance of database design

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

As our faithful members know, the highest-rated Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server tip submitted to SearchDatabase.com each month is awarded a cool prize. Drum roll, please! Congratulations this month goes out to somebody going by the mysterious pseudonym "Database Person," who is the winner of August's contest. He or she will receive a SONICblue Rio 600 MP3 Player and will be inducted into our "Hall of Fame" for the Oracle tip, Last DDL time by tablespace. Congrats also to our runner-up Rich Graff for his DB2 tip Extract data from DB2 on MVS from within DB2 UDB on AIX.

For the insatiably curious, here is a selection of some previous winners:

Thanks again to all those who have submitted their hard-won practical knowledge. If you haven't participated yet, why not give it a try? Our mailbox is always packed with great Oracle tips, but you DB2 and SQL Server pros out there are a bit bashful. So come on -- share your knowledge and help out your fellow database geeks!

Thanks and have a great week,
Tim

 Featured Topic:

DBMS reviews & comparisons
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
One of the most common requests we at SearchDatabase.com receive is for independent product reviews. We aim to please, so here is a collection of 100+ Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, MySQL, and DB2 reviews, comparisons, and analyses.

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Eli Leiba, Senior Application DBA, Israel Electric Co.

Category: Oracle
Eli holds a B.S. in Computer Science and has 11 years of experience working with both Oracle and SQL Server systems. He also teaches SQL Server DBA and development courses at Microsoft CTEC and also serves as a senior database consultant for several Israeli start-up companies. Ask Eli your toughest Oracle questions!
View Eli's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> SQL many-to-many relationship
Member "Ed" is having query trouble. Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum, check out his schema, and offer any advice if you can.
>> ODBC query in SQL Server 2000
Member "Ryland" needs to connect SQL Server to DB2 via ODBC, but can't seem to direct the MSSQL system to execute a query. Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you can help "Ryland" figure out the problem.

Tip of the Week:
Generate flat files from a data warehouse
This Oracle procedure takes in the schema name and directory path name, grabs all the tables owned by that schema, and generates a tab-delimited flat file.
>> Read full tip

 Site Highlights

Do a health check on your Oracle database
Pre-register for this Webcast with Guy Harrison of Quest Software on September 19
Find out how fit your database is and discover if there's room for improvement. Learn key metrics and data analyzing methods.

E-business standards Webcast on September 26
Pre-register for "Making e-business standards work with Web services"
Author and cofounder of the XML/edi Group covers Web services integration with information services, legacy systems and standards.
The importance of database design
Get some insight from Michael Hernandez, author of "Database Design for Mere Mortals"
A solid database design is the key to future success -- don't overlook its importance. Join best-selling author Michael Hernandez on September 30 for this Webcast about effective database design. And get some development process advice with a structured set of procedures to ensure success for your next database project.

Data Best Practices
Enterprise Data Forum: Data Integration, XML, Modeling, Analytics. 17 corporate practitioner speakers. November 4-7, Pittsburgh. Click here for $500 discount coupon.
Save money

Strategy secrets
Looking for how tos and mission-critical info on security, ROI, Web services, XML and more? Update your profile today to get the latest info from NEW sister site SearchCIO.com.
Update Profile

Storage Decisions
Attend a live interview with Joseph M. Tucci, President and CEO of EMC Corporation to hear how EMC is addressing industry needs. Apply for free attendance to Storage Decisions.
Click here

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
Created by TechTarget
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from.
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".