Title: TechTarget
a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
January 27, 2003 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this email
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: New tech forums
>> Featured Topic: Data mining for fun and profit
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Learn how to avoid costly mistakes at the 2003 CRM Decisions conference
* Apply today for free attendance to The SearchSAP.com Conference Europe
* Webcast: Server Consolidation

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Due to popular demand, I'm happy to announce the debut of three new discussion forums on SearchDatabase.com:

  • Oracle Tech Forum - Oracle DBAs and developers unite! This is the place to help each other solve your toughest Oracle problems.
  • SQL Server Tech Forum - A discussion forum for Microsoft SQL Server administrators and developers. This is the place for solutions to your problems as wells as tips and scripts.
  • DB2 Tech Forum - A gathering place for DBAs and developers using DB2 on all its myriad platforms. Share your answers, advice, tips, and scripts here.
Fans of our long-running and active DBA Water Cooler, Database-Web Connectivity, and Data Warehousing boards don't fret -- they will remain the best places to query the experts and share your knowledge. Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have any questions. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the new format. Ask away!

>(On an unrelated note, the link I gave last week to Oracle guru Jim Giordano's "Ask the Expert" section was broken. Here is the correct URL to his 40+ answers to your tough Oracle on HP questions.)

Thanks, and have a great week, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Data mining for fun and profit
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
Data mining and other business intelligence technologies are hot. With database size growing exponentially, they are also essential for the modern enterprise. Inside is our collection of the best BI news, tips, & advice...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Mike Hotek, Director of Database Operations, AdOutlet

Category: SQL Server
Mike has extensive experience with replication going back to Sybase System 11 and SQL Server 6.5 through SQL Server 2000 with over 50 replication installations currently in production with some being the largest in existence in the world. Mr. Hotek also has extensive disaster recovery experience in performing over 150 recoveries of live, production environments. Mr. Hotek became a SQL Server MVP in 2000 for all of the work he does in newsgroups, mailing lists and discussion forums. He's co-author of "SQL Server System Administration," contributing author of "Special Edition Using Microsoft SQL Server 7.0," and creator of mssqlserver.com and certfaq.com.
View all Mike's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> Expansion into SQL Server controllable?
Member "Michael" is trying to control the expanded disk space needed when he imports a flat file into SQL Server 2000. Some expansion is necessary for indexes, dimension tables, aggregates, etc., but he's trying to figure out if there are things that can be done to minimize the extra disk space required. Go to our "Data warehousing and data analys" forum if you can offer any suggestions.
>> Building GUI Interfaces for MySQL
Member "DB Minister" is looking for a tool other than PHP to build a GUI frontend for it? (Using INSERT statements from the command line is NOT the way he envisions running a DB!) Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if have a recommendation.

Tip of the Week:
DECODE is a very powerful tool that can make SQL very efficient or very dense and nonintutive. Using the short example in this tip, you can easily track which user is doing what in Oracle.
>> Find who is executing what command using DECODE

 Site Highlights

Is CRM failure part of your '03 budget?
Learn how to avoid costly mistakes at the 2003 CRM Decisions conference
Don't miss your chance to hear from the industry's most elite experts. Attendance is limited, so register today!

Free conference | April 23-25 | London
Apply today for free attendance to The SearchSAP.com Conference Europe
Attend sessions about the future of the business information warehouse, performance optimization, SAP integration and more.
Planning a network migration?
Don't overlook server consolidation -- a key component of your network upgrade
View this webcast with Laura DiDio of the Yankee Group to learn about:
* Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of server consolidation
* ROI - the benefits of consolidation
* Challenges: reliability, scalability and performance
* And more

FREE EMAIL SERVICES!
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
DB2 Tips
Daily News
SQL Server Tips
Email:

Not a member? We'll activate your
membership with your subscription.
Premier BI&DW Event!
TDWI World Conference, New Orleans, 2/9 - 2/14/03 Intensive, unbiased training for business intelligence and data warehousing professionals at every level. Register now and save.
Learn more

Last Chance!
Only 41 seats remain open at the FREE CRM Decisions conference coming to Atlanta Feb. 12-14. Don't be left behind. Reserve your seat now and be entered to win a $300 Treo PDA!
Free admission

Featured topics
Take advantage of a great information resource. View our extensive collection of featured topics -- a compilation of news, links, advice and books on important database topics.
Tap into it

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
Created by TechTarget
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved.

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from.
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".