SEARCHDATABASE.COM | Database Administrator Tips
March 19, 2003

FROM OUR SPONSOR:

Data Center Futures: Apply for free admission
http://datacenterfutures.techtarget.com/?Offer=DCFnewsdb

IN THIS ISSUE | Table of Contents

1. DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR TIPS
  - DB2: Planning your upgrade to DB2 v7.1
  - SQL Server: Automate scheduled backups for all databases
  - Oracle: Random number between two integers
  - More recent tips from members

2. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS AND LINKS
  - Free webcasts: Business intelligence with SQL Server, and more
  - Ask the experts: Your database questions answered
  - Featured Topic: T-SQL

DATA CENTER FUTURES - HILTON CHICAGO HOTEL - JUNE 4-6. Gain FREE
admission to the only independent conference available today that
helps you build the most scalable and reliable data center for
tomorrow. Plan now to achieve a core technology foundation with a
full understanding of networking, security, storage, systems
management and more. Discover full benefits on our conference Web
site and apply for FREE admission today:

http://datacenterfutures.techtarget.com/?Offer=DCFnewsdb
THIS WEEK'S TIPS:

PLANNING YOUR UPGRADE TO DB2 V7.1 | Jim Schesvold and John Irwin

In simple outline form, here are some tips and guidelines if you're
considering upgrading to DB2 v.7.1 from versions 4, 5, or 6.

>> CLICK for the full tip...
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci881912,00.html

AUTOMATE SCHEDULED BACKUPS FOR ALL DATABASES | Mike Weaver

This script will 1) go through all SQL Server databases on a single
server and create a device for each database and 2) schedule a single
job with a task for each database to be backed up to a local
directory of your choice. It is very useful if want to do complete
scheduled backups of all your databases on a single server and you
need to know that the devices and scheduled tasks have been created
correctly and uniformly.

>> CLICK for the full tip...
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci867516,00.html

RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN TWO INTEGERS | Siva Val

Though Oracle provides an internal function to generate random
numbers, there is no function that gives a random number between any
two given integers. This quick script solves that problem.

>> CLICK for the full tip...
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci886755,00.html

MORE RECENT TIPS FROM SEARCHDATABASE MEMBERS:

LIMIT ACCESS TO DATA BY TIME | Karen Mann
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci883234,00.html
Here is a way to grant access to a DB2 table for a specific period of
time so that users can see the data only during a specific time of
day. While a grant won't provide the solution, a view will. The
author created this view using DDL...

SCRIPT TO RUN LARGE DAILY SCHEMA EXPORTS | Robert Dow
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci821260,00.html
This is a script the author uses on AIX servers to run very large
daily Oracle schema exports. He uses the mknode method to trick the
export utility to generate a dump file > 2 GB.

ENABLE THE REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY CONSTRAINT | Ravi Gulati
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci834318,00.html
Enable the foreign key constraints when you enable the primary key
constraints with this quick Oracle script.

USE TRIGGER PROGRAMS TO TRACK DB2 RECORD CHANGES | John Kohan
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci868256,00.html
One of the issues programmers have to deal with is recording when a
record was changed. Trigger programs are one way for you to track
these changes on DB2 for AS/400.

UPGRADING SQL SERVER, PART I: OVERVIEW AND PROJECT PLANNING
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci883965,00.html
First of a series by Jeremy Kadlec detailing the SQL Server upgrade
process from the technical, logistical and business perspective.

AN EXAMPLE OF DYNAMIC SQL IN PL/SQL...OR NOT | Lucy Lynch
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci809890,00.html
This rebuttal to a recent tip is a tip itself. The author argues that
the problem presented can be solved much more compactly and
efficiently with straight SQL than dynamic SQL and provided this
replacement script to prove it.

BEYOND REPORTING: GETTING VALUE OUT OF YOUR DATA | John Wallace
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci884576,00.html
OLAP and business intelligence (BI) are key elements of reporting and
can offer significant value to businesses. This article is an
introdction to advanced analytics, including predictive modeling,
clustering, optimization, and more.

Hundreds more free tech tips submitted by members:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tips/0,289484,sid13_tax281808,00.html

Share your knowledge, submit a tip, win a prize:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tipsSubmit/1,289485,sid13,00.html

IMPORTANT LINKS:

FREE WEBCASTS | SearchDatabase.com

>> Business intelligence with SQL Server
http://searchDatabase.com/r/0,,10507,00.htm
Microsoft's Bill Baker discusses best practices for implementing
a SQL Server business intelligence solution on heterogeneous
database systems.

>> Impossible data warehouse situations
http://searchdatabase.com/r/0,,10092,00.htm
Experts Chuck Kelley and Sid Adelman discuss their personal
experiences about the realities of data warehousing not covered
in basic texts.

>> Business intelligence: From inception to implementation
http://searchDatabase.com/r/0,,10861,00.htm
Listen and learn as author Shaku Atre discusses the different the
major components of BI application development, the vendor landscape,
and the six steps of a BI implementation.

YOUR TOUGH DATABASE QUESTIONS ANSWERED | Ask the Experts

Oracle: Retrieval time for LONGRAW images is slow
http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid522066_tax289342,00.html

Oracle: Moving indexes from one tablespace to another
http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid522059_tax289342,00.html

SQL Server: Checking logs to see transactions cut off mid-flight
http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid521284_tax285648,00.html

Oracle: Can't open dump file using IMP
http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid520902_tax285650,00.html

Oracle: Creating referential integrity with constraints or triggers
http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid520886_tax289342,00.html

More expert answers here:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid13,00.html

T-SQL | SearchDatabase.com Featured Topic

Transact-SQL is a set of programming extensions to the Structured
Query Language developed by Sybase and Microsoft. The free tips,
scripts and expert advice inside will help DBAs and developers master
T-SQL scripting.

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid13_gci886017,00.html

>> CLICK for previous Featured Topics...
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid13,00.html

*********************SEARCHDATABASE CONTACTS***********************

TIM DICHIARA, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send your feedback and original articles.

SARA CUSHMAN, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send your White Papers and favorite Web sites.

ELLEN O'BRIEN, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send your product announcements and poll ideas.

TOM CLICK, Sales (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

Created by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved.