Title: TechTarget
a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
June 16, 2003 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this email
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: May tip contest winner
>> Featured Topic: Help for database newbies
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Database migration and consolidation
* Storage magazine
* Managing Siebel eBusiness applications

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

As all you faithful SearchDatabase.com members know, we hold our famous Tip Contest each month. If you haven't participated yet, why not give it a try?

Member Preethiviraj Kulasingham did, and he won May's tip prize. He will receive a Logitech webcam and will be inducted into our Hall of Fame for his SQL Server tip, Compare two SQL Server tables.

Here is a selection of some previous winners:

Remember, you don't need to be a super-guru to submit a tip. The majority of our most highly-rated tips are simple shortcuts that help get specific jobs done faster and better. You just might win our new June prize, a very cool iAudio MP3 player. Submit your Oracle, SQL Server, or DB2 tips today!

Till next time, Tim DiChiara, Editor

 Featured Topic:

Help for database newbies
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

To newbies, the modern DBMS is impossibly complex. They're right, of course! Inside is a wealth of resources for those just starting out: tips, webcasts, advice and much more.

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert
Brian Peasland, Database Administrator, SGT, Inc.

Category: Oracle
Brian is an OCP and has been in the IT field for 15 years working as a computer operator, operations analyst, systems administrator, application developer and finally a database administrator. Ask him your tough Oracle questions!
View all of Brian's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> SQL Server error function
Member "Groovy" is wondering how to write the failed-query records into an audit table so he can address them after the load. Check out his code and go to our "SQL Server Tech Forum" if you can help.
>> Oracle buying out PeopleSoft
Member "Jared001" has started a thread commenting on Oracle's proposed acquisition of rival apps vendor Peoplesoft. What do you think? Will it happen? Should it happen? Will customers benefit, or just Larry Ellison? Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you have an opinion.

Tip of the Week:
Jeremy Kadlec continues his series detailing the SQL Server upgrade process from a technical, logistical and business perspective. In this installment, he discusses SQL Server 6.5 to 2000 critical upgrade decisions and a redundant upgrade architecture.
>> Upgrading SQL Server, part II: Critical upgrade decisions

 Site Highlights

Database migration and consolidation
What are your options for integrating and migrating your data?
Visit our product and vendor guide today to research the options available to you.

Storage magazine
Sign up today for your free Storage magazine subscription.
The June issue includes articles on consolidation, disaster recovery plans, cost-effective business continuity and more.
Managing Siebel eBusiness applications
Learn how to get the most out of your hardware and software investments.
In this white paper, you'll discover proactive steps to avoid application performance decline as your DB2 UDB database grows and as more users run queries and maintain Siebel information. Read it today and prevent the need for additional hardware purchases.
Sponsored By: Quest Software

Update your subscriptions
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
Database Administrator Tips
Oracle Tips
DB2 Tips
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

TDWI - Boston
TDWI World Conference, Boston, MA, August 17-22. This premier event for business intelligence & data warehousing education features over 50 courses in all! Register by July 18 and save!
Visit today!

s/390 news & tips
Search390.com newsletters feature the latest industry headlines and most critical technical tips on WebSphere, CICS and more. Click below to browse our full collection.
Check it out!

May tip of the month
Go to the SearchDatabase.com tips Hall of Fame to read May's winning tip: "Compare two SQL Server tables".
Read it today!

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
Created by TechTarget
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved.

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://searchDatabase.techtarget.com/register
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from.
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".