SEARCHDATABASE.COM | Database Administrator Tips
October 8, 2003

FROM OUR SPONSOR:

How does your salary compare to those of your peers?
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/dice/0,294542,sid13,00.html?track=NL-94&Offer=dbdicesur93

IN THIS ISSUE | Table of Contents

1. DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR TIPS
  - SQL Server: Problem-solving blocking situations
  - DB2: Little by little, step by step: Splitting DB2 transactions
  - Oracle: Speed up transport between primary and standby database
  - More recent tips from members

2. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS AND LINKS
  - Free webcast: The future of database administration
  - Ask the experts: Converting columns to rows
  - Featured Topic: 600 DBMS tips and scripts

**************** SearchDatabase.com Career Center *****************

How does your salary compare to those of your peers? Visit
SearchDatabase.com's new Career Center powered by Dice and take our
salary survey. You'll find training, certification and resume
resources along with over 27,000 IT job openings to search through.
Register now and receive e-mails when a listing matches your search
criteria, have your profile automatically sent to Dice.com member
companies, access a host of career resources and tips and much more!

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/dice/0,294542,sid13,00.html?track=NL-94&Offer=dbdicesur93

THIS WEEK'S TIPS:

PROBLEM-SOLVING BLOCKING SITUATIONS | Robert Hauck

This procedure for SQL Server 2000 is intended to help with
problem-solving blocking situations. The author developed it to
contact users when their client software holds locks that are holding
up other users. It works faster than viewing the blocking status
through Enterprise Manager.

>> CLICK for the full tip...
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci912793,00.html?track=NL-94

LITTLE BY LITTLE, STEP BY STEP: SPLITTING DB2 TRANSACTIONS
by Alexander Kuznetsov

Sometimes you may need to insert, update or delete a lot of rows.
Doing that in one SQL statement may be unwise. Here is how to split a
large transaction into several smaller ones in DB2.

>> CLICK for the full tip...
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci931229,00.html?track=NL-94

SPEED UP DATA TRANSPORT BETWEEN PRIMARY AND STANDBY DATABASE

Ravinder Bhalla presents a quick tip to speed up data transport
between primary and standby Oracle databases in a DataGuard
environment.

>> CLICK for the tip...
http://www.searchOracle.com/tip/1,289483,sid41_gci930276,00.html?track=NL-94

MORE RECENT TIPS FROM SEARCHDATABASE MEMBERS:

HOW SQL SERVER IS HACKED | David Litchfield
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci930221,00.html?track=NL-94
Database servers are a soft target for hackers even though they
should be the most secure boxes within an organization's IT
infrastructure. This chapter from David Litchfeld's new book "SQL
Server Security" covers both software vulnerabilities, configuration
issues, hacker tools, attacks that require and don't require
authentication, and more.

FORMATTING THE DATE WITH SQL | Ravinder Bahadur
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci920867,00.html?track=NL-94
Here is a simple way to provide a format for date fields in DB2.

HIDDEN ORACLE, PART II: USING UNDOCUMENTED PARAMETERS
http://www.searchOracle.com/tip/1,289483,sid41_gci928423,00.html?track=NL-94
In part 1 of this series, guru Don Burleson explored ways to extract
undocumented packages, hints, utilities and executables from Oracle.
Now Don is ready to explore some ways that the undocumented Oracle
parameters are used to aid the Oracle professional in managing and
tuning their systems.

SPLIT DELIMITER-SEPARATED LISTS | Rajasekhar Sahitala
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci915927,00.html?track=NL-94
This SQL Server function is useful for splitting a string of values
delimited by a special character; e.g., a comma or a space.

DB2 DISCOVERY | Barrie Sosinsky
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci928300,00.html?track=NL-94
Here is a quick introduction to DB2 Discovery, which provides a more
automated approach to problems associated with client/server
communication.

SELECTIVITY AND COMPOSITE INDEXES | Sethuraj Nair
http://www.searchOracle.com/tip/1,289483,sid41_gci928040,00.html?track=NL-94
Badly ordered composite keys will prevent you from getting the best
out of indexing in Oracle. Columns with excellent selectivity at the
beginning of the index considerably boost its performance. This
script will help DBAs get an idea about the selectivity of component
columns of all existing indexes, make a decision about re-ordering
the columns in the indexes based on selectivity, and more...

HIDDEN ORACLE, PART I: EXPLORING UNDOCUMENTED UTILITIES
http://www.searchOracle.com/tip/1,289483,sid41_gci928422,00.html?track=NL-94
Each new release of Oracle brings new hidden utilities. They are
sometimes used by internal Oracle development staff and left in
Oracle for emergency support. Many of these undocumented utilities
are very powerful but can be complex. In this article, Oracle guru
Don Burleson describes how to find hidden utilities, executables,
parameters, v$ views, system events, and SQL hints.

CHECK THE ISOLATION LEVEL OF ANY SQL SERVER SPID | Paul Wehland
http://www.searchDatabase.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci920866,00.html?track=NL-94
How do you check the isolation level of other users (i.e., other
SPIDs)? DBCC USEROPTIONS cannot do it. The way aound this is to use
the undocumented DBCC PSS command....

Hundreds more free tech tips submitted by members:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tips/0,289484,sid13_tax281808,00.html?track=NL-94

Share your knowledge, submit a tip, win a prize:
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tipsSubmit/1,289485,sid13,00.html?track=NL-94

IMPORTANT LINKS:

THE FUTURE OF DATABASE ADMINISTRATION | Free Webcast

SPEAKER: Craig Mullins, Director of Technology Planning, BMC
         Software
WHEN: Available now!

Certain trends across the DBMS market today are changing the
traditional role of the DBA. Tune in to this webcast and listen as
expert Craig Mullins discusses: General industry patterns and
specific DBMS market trends, skills essential to a successful career
as a DBA today, including Java, .NET and XML, and new demands on the
DBA, such as data integration.

>> CLICK to listen now...
http://searchDatabase.com/r/0,,18754,00.htm?track=NL-94

CONVERTING COLUMNS TO ROWS | Ask the Experts

Dear Ask the Expert,
I want to show columns into rows. For example, I have a table,
Weekly_Timesheet, and I want to list rows on a daily basis, i.e. each
day's field, SUN_NT to SAT_NT, for a weekly row converted to daily
basis...

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid551981_tax285649,00.html?track=NL-94

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid13,00.html?track=NL-94

>> CLICK for Oracle-related expert answers...
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid41,00.html?track=NL-94

600 DBMS TIPS AND SCRIPTS | SearchDatabase.com Featured Topic

Looking for that perfect script that will make your life as a
database guru just a tad easier? You've come to the right place! 600
Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and SQL tips are inside.

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid13_gci846574,00.html?track=NL-94

>> CLICK for previous Featured Topics...
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid13,00.html?track=NL-94

TIM DICHIARA, Senior Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
ROBYN LORUSSO, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
SARA CUSHMAN, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
ELLEN O'BRIEN, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
ROB WESTERVELT, News Writer (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
TOM CLICK, Sales (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
CLARK MOREY, Sales (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])