Title: TechTarget
A weekly newsletter published by TechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
December 22, 2003 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Members sound off about JDO
>> Featured Topic: The 2003 SearchDatabase Top 20
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Visit the SearchDatabase.com White Paper Library
* Today, it's about smarter CRM
* Featured webcast: "Efficient Schema Design"

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

Last week, I wrote about Java Data Objects (JDO) and one author's claim that JDO is "the best thing since the database industry standardized on SQL about 25 years ago." It supposedly solves the long-standing "impedance mismatch" problem but is being held back by the relational DBMS vendors who wish to protect their proprietary turf.

Many of you responded with your thoughts -- most were hostile or indifferent to JDO. (Whether or not these comments are representative of the database development community is another question.) Some examples:

  • Eric Gray wrote a detailed critique of JDO, which we posted on the site. An excerpt: "Java developers are simply too lazy to learn SQL and have twisted themselves into knots with ridiculous mapping techniques that are not needed." Please use the "Sound Off" feature on that page to offer your responses.
  • Patrick P. wrote: "If the author had any experience with IS then he would know that the industry has countless saviors [like JDO] claiming to revolutionize the way IS does business....Does the comment 'JDO provides developers with another layer of abstraction that encapsulates data store-specific details' stir any thoughts of disaster on the horizon? How many layers of abstraction can we afford? Has the author addressed the lifecycle of an application? Has the author considered the operational costs of JDO?"
  • Eric S. thinks JDO might or might not be a godsend but takes a larger view: "The correct question should be, "What do you want to accomplish?" ...The answer should help determine which tool to grab, or at least which toolbox drawer to start looking in. Don't grab a 25-lb. sledge to tap in a few carpet tacks, or vice versa!"

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. On behalf of the SearchDatabase.com team, I wish you all happy holidays and a peaceful 2004!

 Featured Topic:

The 2003 SearchDatabase Top 20
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

We analyzed traffic stats, ratings, and feedback and came up with a list of your favorite SearchDatabase content in 2003. Inside you'll find the best of the best tech tips, news analysis, and Ask the Expert advice...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Experts Greg Robidoux and Jeremy Kadlec, Founder and Principal Database Engineer, Edgewood Solutions

Category: SQL Server
Greg Robidoux is the founder of Edgewood Solutions, a database solutions company in the United States focusing on Microsoft SQL Server and he is currently the Vice Chair of the PASS DBA SIG. Jeremy Kadlec serves as the Principal Database Engineer at Edgewood Solutions and has been building technical solutions for the last five years, primarily focused on SQL Server 6.5, 7.0 and 2000. Ask them your tough SQL Server questions!

Read Greg and Jeremy's answers to previous questions

This Week: In the forums
>> SQL over a WAN link
Member "kacey" is having performance problems with a SQL Server app accessed over a WAN link. Go to our "SQL Server Tech Forum" to offer your advice.

>> DB2 error
Member "Rick" is running DB2 on a mainframe and has come across "SQL error -904". Anybody have an idea of what this is? If you do, go to our "DB2 Tech Forum" and help out.

Tip of the Week:
JDBC: An introduction
A detailed introduction to the JDBC API and how to use it for accessing virtually any kind of tabular data.

>> Read complete tip

 Site Highlights

Visit the SearchDatabase.com White Paper Library
Check out SearchDatabase.com's White Paper Library and browse white papers on such topics as performance tuning, Microsoft SQL Sever and more.
Visit the library now

Today, it's about smarter CRM
SearchCRM.com and Peppers & Rogers Group have joined forces to bring you the industry's definitive CRM conference that delivers on both the promise and challenges of enterprise CRM.
Apply today for the Smart CRM Conference Feb 11-13, 2004 and save $1,495
Featured webcast: "Efficient Schema Design"
Attend now
Tune in to this webcast and listen as Oracle guru Tom Kyte discusses how to choose data structures that will ensure your applications run at optimal levels. In this webcast, you'll learn more about considerations for designing your schema, table and index types, compression and more.
Sponsored By: Oracle Corporation

Resources for DB pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
SQL Server Tips
DB2 Tips
Oracle E-Business Suite Update
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

Spending survey
Will your 2004 database budget be enough to support the necessary upgrades that your shop needs? Share your thoughts and strategies with our brief spending survey.
Take survey

DB2 Tips
Sign up for SearchDatabase.com's DB2 Tips newsletter and receive expert advice on IBM DB2 development, management, performance, migration, integration and more.
Sign up now

Learn IT Guide
Test your database knowledge! Check out our Learn IT Guide and explore a list of concepts - then take our quiz to find out how much you've learned.
Learn IT now

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
This newsletter is published by TechTarget, the most targeted IT media.
Copyright 2003 TechTarget. All rights reserved.
To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":
OR
  -  Go to unsubscribe and enter your e-mail address to cancel your subscription

Please note, unsubscribe requests may take up to 24 hours to process; you may receive additional mailings during that time. A confirmation e-mail will be sent when your request has been successfully processed.