Title: TechTarget
A weekly newsletter published by TechTarget
searchDatabaseThis Week
January 19, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: MySQL on the rise
>> Featured Topic: Ask the SQL expert
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Featured white paper: "Delivering the Best Performance for ETL with Third Generation Products"
* Data Center Decisions
* Featured Hall of fame SQL Server Tip

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

2004 is shaping up to be a good year for MySQL.

Several recent studies have shown that MySQL is growing at a double-digit clip. Version 5.0 -- complete with support for stored procedures and cursors -- will be released in the spring. Partnerships with SAP, Veritas, SGI and Novell have raised its profile. A review last month declared that MySQL code is squeaky clean compared with proprietary DBMS products.

What accounts for the rise of MySQL and Linux? The most likely culprit is the poor economy of the last few years. Indeed, as an Evans Data report noted, "sixty two percent of those surveyed expect to realize some cost savings by implementing Linux". Total cost of ownership, together with integration features and reliability, were cited as the most important criteria for selecting a DBMS. What is your experience? In the real world, do you see lower administration costs for MySQL when implemented in an enterprise context? Let me know.

As MySQL grows, SearchDatabase.com will be there. We already have scads of MySQL news and technical advice. Would you like to see us cover MySQL more? How about other open source DBMSs such as PostgreSQL, Firebird, and Berkeley DB? Let me know!

Cheers, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Ask the SQL expert
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

Our expert Rudy Limeback has been in the database field for 25 years and he knows his SQL. Browse his 250+ answers to your tough SQL questions inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Mich Talebzadeh Principal Consultant, Peridale Ltd

Category: Sybase
Mich Talebzadeh is a database expert with DBA and architecture experience using Sybase and Oracle. He specializes in creating database architectures for large global trading systems involving heterogeneous databases. Mich is based in London and serves as Chairman of the Sybase Future Forum. He is a frequent speaker at Sybase Techforum and other international database conferences. Dr. Talebzadeh holds a Ph.D in Particle Physics from Imperial College, University of London and C.E.R.N., Geneva, Switzerland. He can answer any of your Sybase questions.
Read Mich's answers to previous questions

This Week: In the forums
>> What is a "relation"?
The discussion continues about the exact meaning of "relation" in the relational model. How is the term "relationship" different? Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" to offer your thoughts.

>> Migration from DB2 to a hierarchical DBMS
Member "Raj" has a tough question: Does anybody have experience migrating DB2 data to a hierarchical DBMS like U/FOS? If you do, go to our "DB2 Tech Forum".

Tip of the Week:
SQL Server 2000 size maintenance
Database size maintenance is among the "boring" tasks that DBAs have to perform. However, if you allow your databases to grow without ever managing their size you're very likely to get in trouble. Here's a quick introduction to the topic.

>> Read complete tip

 Site Highlights

Featured white paper: "Delivering the Best Performance for ETL with Third Generation Products"
Download this white paper and learn about the elements that impact the performance of ETL and which architectures and approaches give some products a clear advantage when it comes to performance.
Download this white paper now
Sponsored By: Sunopsis

Data Center Decisions
Be prepared for the challenges of managing tomorrow's data center - attend the 2004 Data Center Decisions conference and hear industry experts giving the latest industry updates.
Register for Data Center Decisions Conference now
Featured Hall of fame SQL Server Tip
Sign up for the SQL Server Tips newsletter and get similar tips sent directly to your inbox
Check out SearchDatabase.com's "Split delimiter-separated lists in SQL Server" tip and learn how to split a string of values delimited by a special character.

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
Database Administrator Tips
Daily News
Webcast Alerts
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

Webcast Alerts
Be the first to know about the latest webcasts featured on SearchDatabase.com. Edit your member profile and activate your subscription to SearchDatabase.com's "Webcast Alerts".
Sign up now

Expert Advice
Our panel of database gurus is available 24/7 to address your questions in such categories as SQL, DB2, Sybase and more.
Pose a question

Best Web Links
Looking for tips on SQL Server Replication? Browse SearchDatabase.com's compilation of Best Web Links in the SQL Server Replication category and find a compilation of useful resources.
Browse tips

A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
This newsletter is published by TechTarget, the most targeted IT media.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.
To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":
OR
  -  Go to unsubscribe and enter your e-mail address to cancel your subscription

Please note, unsubscribe requests may take up to 24 hours to process; you may receive additional mailings during that time. A confirmation e-mail will be sent when your request has been successfully processed.