Title: SearchDatabase.com
Published by SearchDatabase.com
searchDatabaseThis Week
April 12, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Data center decisions
>> Featured Topic: Tips and advice for newbies
>> Expert Technical Advice: New expert advice, forum posts, and tips
>> Site Highlights:
* Check out SearchDatabase.com's new and improved webcast library!
* Register for the Data Center Decisions conference
* Sign up for Oracle-specific newsletters

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

The time is drawing near for our second annual Data Center Decisions conference to be held June 2-4 in Chicago, USA. Have you applied to attend yet? It's the only independent conference available today that helps you build the most scalable and reliable data center for tomorrow.

We've endeavored to make it everything you'd want in a conference: It's free of any admission charges, small in size to promote better networking and interaction and provides only high-quality, fluff-free content. Here is a sampling of the recently-updated schedule:

  • The impact of storage on the data center
  • Outsourcing your data center
  • Technical purchasing decisions
  • The future and evolving role of the mainframe
  • Building a secure data center environment
  • and much more...

If you manage a large enterprise data center, I would highly recommend that you attend. Apply for free admission here.

Till next week, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Tips and advice for newbies
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

To newbies, the modern DBMS seems impossibly complex. They're right, of course! Inside is a wealth of resources for those just starting out: tips, webcasts, advice, and much more.

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Mike Lampa, CEO, BAG, Inc.

Categories: Data warehousing and business intelligence
Mike is co-founder and CEO of BAG, a Texas-based business intelligence consultancy. He has over 21 years experience in strategic planning, program management, and designing, building and supporting data warehouse and operational data store implementations. Intricately involved in the daily activities of BAG, Mr. Lampa can often be found building data and process models to aid in improved operations efficiency and decision support automation for clients.
Read answers to Mike's previous questions

This Week: In the forums
>> ROLAP vs. MOLAP
Member "enrique550" is looking for a comparison between MOLAP and ROLAP technologies. Give him your pearls of wisdom in our "DBA Water Cooler."

>> Charging for sharing a SQL Server
Member "Bamyz" needs to bill his database clients in a fair way to cover the total cost of maintaining the server but is wondering about the best way to do this. If you have any ideas, go to our "SQL Server Tech Forum."

Tip of the Week:
SQL Server: Guidelines for creating indexes
A well-performing DBMS minimizes index creation while emphasizing the creation of the "right" mix of indexing. Here are some rules to guide you in your table designs when you are trying to decide what to index.

>> Read complete tip

 Site Highlights

Check out SearchDatabase.com's new and improved webcast library!
Have you attended a SearchDatabase.com webcast recently? Browse our new webcast library, now categorized by topic, speaker and sponsor so you can access the information you need as quickly as possible.
Browse our new webcast library

Register for the Data Center Decisions conference
Join us in Chicago, June 2-4, 2004 for the Data Center Decisions conference. You'll benefit from networking opportunities and vendor-neutral sessions such as "Top 10 Technology Contract Negotiation Tips & Tricks" and more.
Register today - seating is limited!
Sign up for Oracle-specific newsletters
Activate subscriptions
From daily news to Oracle administration tips, SearchOracle.com offers targeted newsletters to help you excel as a database professional. Browse our collection of Oracle-specific newsletters and sign up for those that interest you most!

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
DBA Tips
Ebusiness Suite
Today's News
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

Backup School
Tune in to SearchStorage.com's "Backup School" webcast and listen as professor Dorian Cougias dissects the anatomy of database backup, transaction logs and how to repair the database in the event of failure.
View lesson

Learning Guide
Stumbling over structured query language? Take a look at SearchDatabase.com's SQL Learning Guide - you'll learn how to get the data you need by looking at solutions to real-world problems.
Browse guide

User groups
Looking for a place to exchange tips on SQL Server and network with your peers? Browse SearchDatabase.com's compilation of SQL Server user groups and find one in your area.
Check it out

  A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
Contact us:
SearchDatabase
MemberServices
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
Needham, MA 02494

This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":