Title: SearchDatabase.com
Published by SearchDatabase.com
searchDatabaseThis Week
July 12, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Are you a SQL Server 'know-IT-all'?
>> Featured Topic: Top 10 summertime hits
>> Technical Advice: Featured expert advice
>> Site Highlights:
* Data Recovery Best Practices
* White paper: Change Data Capture - Next Generation ETL
* Data Caching Strategies for RDBMS Applications

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Editor

Our friends over at SearchWin2000.com have put together two fun, short quizzes that may test the limits of your SQL Server knowledge. They are based on Ken Henderson's book "The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Architecture and Internals" (Addison-Wesley), so if you don't know the answers you can find them in the provided free chapters.

http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid1_gci990059,00.html?track=NL-78&ad=486584: Think you know everything about SQL Server's Open Data Services Object Linking and Embedding (ODSOLE)? Don't be so sure! Here's a sample question from the quiz:

What is the current preferred term for OLE automation?

  • Automation
  • SOLE
  • SOLE automation
  • SQL automation

http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid1_gci991295,00.html?track=NL-78&ad=486584: Veteran IT pros know that official documentation is only half the story. In this quiz, you'll need to dive deep into the dark corners of SQL Server to discover its undocumented treasures. Ken Henderson did and the book documents what his discoveries:

Some undocumented features are completely superflous and this is a prime example:

  • TriggerInsertOrder
  • ExecIsFirstInsertTrigger
  • BDCC TRACEON
  • sp_MS_marksystemobject

Take these quizzes, send in your score to the editors of SearchWin2000.com, and you'll be eligible to win a free copy of Ken Henderson's book. Good luck!

Cheers, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Top 10 summertime hits
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

Although it's the height of summer here in the northern hemisphere, data management still takes precedence over sipping margaritas on the beach. Here are your SearchDatabase favorites so far this year.

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Mich Talebzadeh, Principal Consultant, Peridale Ltd

Category: Sybase
Mich Talebzadeh is a database expert with DBA and architecture experience using Sybase and Oracle. He specializes in creating database architectures for large global trading systems involving heterogeneous databases. Mich is based in London and serves as Chairman of the Sybase Future Forum. He is a frequent speaker at Sybase Techforum and other international database conferences. Dr. Talebzadeh holds a Ph.D in Particle Physics from Imperial College, University of London and C.E.R.N., Geneva, Switzerland. He can answer any of your Sybase questions.
Ask Mich a question

Featured expert advice
>> Ask the Expert: MySQL: GPL restrictions
Our MySQL expert Mike Hillyer answers the question: "My company has numerous MySQL databases running internal applications, often cloned for multiple instances of an application on more than one site, all used internally. Where does GPL license begin, requiring my company to begin paying licensing fees?"

Tip of the Week:
SQL Server: Avoid using BLOBs to store image data
As elegant an idea as storing images as BLOBs may sound, it's simply not a very good one. There are several reasons for this....

>> Read complete tip

 Site Highlights

Data Recovery Best Practices
Download this white paper and learn from Microsoft SQL Server veteran Stephen Wynkoop as he highlights the best approaches, key planning points, and select tools for a solid data recovery solution.
Access white paper

White paper: Change Data Capture - Next Generation ETL
Download this white paper and learn how you can enhance your shop's Business Intelligence (BI) capabilities. You'll get an overview of how your shop can achieve successful bulk data movement, change data capture, federated data access and more.
Download now
Data Caching Strategies for RDBMS Applications
Download now
This week's featured white paper will give you an overview of the fundamental concepts of middle-tier caching and will provide a solution that can help you increase the scalability, consistency, and recoverability of existing enterprise information systems.

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
DB2 Tips
E-Business Suite Update
Today's News
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

TDWI in San Diego
Attend the TDWI World Conference in San Diego, August 8-13, and explore cutting-edge BI/DW topics, gain knowledge that you can apply immediately, and share best practices with peers.
Register today!

Free conference
Don't let The SearchSAP.com Conference pass you by. Register now and benefit from vendor-neutral sessions with top industry experts such as AMR Research's Jim Shepherd and more.
Register now

DB2 @ SHARE in NYC
Discounts end July 23 for SHARE User Events in New York, taking place August 15-20, 2004 and featuring the most comprehensive user-run IT technical training and education available.
Register now

  A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
TechTarget
Contact us:
SearchDatabase
Member Services
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
Needham, MA 02494

This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":