Title: SearchDatabase.com
Published by SearchDatabase.com
searchDatabaseThis Week
September 13, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: ITKE it!
>> Featured Topic: Beyond the Big 3
>> Technical Advice: Featured expert advice
>> Site Highlights:
* Webcast: Business intelligence
* Bloor Research Paper
* White paper: Data recovery

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Editor

ITKE? What is it and why am I using it as a verb?

ITKE -- ITKnowledge Exchange -- is our brand-new member service, an innovative online community where you can exchange knowledge, share expertise, and get answers to your technical and strategic questions from IT pros around the globe.

ITKE far surpasses traditional list servs or forum offerings. Indeed, this kind of 'peer network' has the potential to render those venerable symbols of the web obsolete. Once you build your profile and log in, you have immediate and direct access to a vast and specific network of your peers who are grappling with similar issues in a private and easy-to-use environment.

ITKE is a network of data management and other IT practitioners with the precise experience and qualifications that you specify. In fact, you can customize your ideal audience by selecting specific areas of expertise in advance. Whether you are in the research phase evaluating a new product, about to make a purchasing decision or you are in the midst of implementation, you can be sure that there are fellow geeks that can help steer you in the right direction.

Along with analysts, architects, programmers, engineers, developers and DBAs, we have invited your favorite experts from SearchDatabase.com to participate, including:

  • Rudy Limeback - Web and SQL design consultant, r937.com
  • Craig Mullins - Director of Technology Planning, BMC Software
  • Greg Robidoux & Jeremy Kadlec - Edgewood Solutions
  • Among others

So if you have a tough SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Sybase, MySQL, Ingres, or PostgreSQL question, ITKE it!

Till next week, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Beyond the Big 3
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

There is life beyond the big three DBMS vendors! Sybase, MySQL, and others have found significant niches in enterprise IT. Our collection of news, tips, and expert advice has all the info you need about the "best of the rest."

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Rudy Limeback, Web and SQL Design Consultant, r937.com

Category: SQL
Rudy has worked with commercial databases since the mid-1970's, starting with IDMS, a Codasyl network system, and progressing through IBM's DB2 and Microsoft's SQL Server relational databases. He has developed data warehouses and transactional databases, always with an emphasis on making them easy to use for developers and end users alike. He specializes in writing SQL statements that are simple and easy to maintain. Rudy now operates r937.com, developing databases for use with dynamic Web sites. Ask him your tough SQL questions!
Ask Rudy a question

Featured expert advice
>> Ask the Expert: Query hints to override optimizer: Oracle vs. Sybase
Our Sybase expert Mich Talebzadeh answers the question: "Can you give query hints in Sybase like you do in Oracle? How?"

Tip of the Week:
Sharpening up your soft skills
So-called "soft" skills are just as important as the technical knowledge you've been studying in all those certification programs.
>> Read the full tip

 Site Highlights

Webcast: Business Intelligence
Join ProClarity, Microsoft, Unisys and Avanade for a webcast on the innovations and new economic paradigm in BI. Sign up now to learn how you can make faster, smarter business decisions.
Register now

Bloor Research Paper
This paper examines the Attunity data integration product line with an emphasis on Attunity Federate and its Virtual Data Federation capabilities. Read this informative paper today.
Download here
White Paper: Data Recovery
Read now
Planning for data recovery is about more than just making sure your database is backed up. There are many things to consider. In his paper, Microsoft SQL Server veteran Stephen Wynkoop discusses the best approaches, key planning points, and select tools for a solid data recovery solution.

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
Small Business IT Tech Tip
E-Business Suite Update
DB2 Tips
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

2004 PASS Summit
Don?t miss the industry?s largest user-run educational event exclusively dedicated to the SQL Server in Orlando, Florida on September 28 ? October 1, 2004. A must attend for DBAs, architects and developers.
Register today!

SHARE Event
This mega training event will feature user-run technical education, on-site seminars, hands-on labs, a vendor product/service expo, & several networking opportunities.
Find out more

TDWI in Orlando
Attend TDWI World Conference in Orlando, Oct. 31?Nov. 5, and you will have access to BI/DW training, a special BI Strategies program, our CBIP certification program and more.
Register now

  A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
TechTarget
Contact us:
SearchDatabase
Member Services
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
Needham, MA 02494

This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":