Title: SearchDatabase.com
Published by SearchDatabase.com
searchDatabaseThis Week
September 20, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: What keeps you awake at night?
>> Featured Topic: Beyond the Big 3
>> Technical Advice: Featured expert advice
>> Site Highlights:
* Small Biz IT Tech Tip
* Join ITKnowledge Exchange
* Webcast: Network computing

 From the Editor:

by Jim Connolly, Editorial Director

Think of all the great ideas being floated by vendors, service providers and consultants: You can junk your big Unix servers for a few hundred cheap Intel servers. You can add Linux to your mainframe. You can consolidate a half-dozen data centers into two, or decentralize from two to six. You can implement an on-demand computing strategy, assuming you can find two experts who agree on what on-demand means. You can go with bricks, blades, Windows, clusters or virtualization.

Notice one common thread in all these options, dear data center manager: The experts want you to do all this work, you to sort through the options, and you to implement revolutionary technologies and strategies.

The editors in TechTarget's Data Center Media Group, which includes six Web sites and next June's Data Center Decisions Conference, want to help you to not just wrestle with these concepts, but to succeed. We can draw on the knowledge of vendor-independent experts and the experiences of your peers to identify the best ways for you to solve business problems with new approaches to computing. We can help you to sort out the buzzwords from reality.

I'm responsible for identifying new site features, conference agenda items and trends that impact all data center managers. So, I'm asking for your input: What data center-related challenges keep you awake at night? What type of information can we provide you to keep your data center running efficiently?

Please send me your thoughts. Have a great week!

Jim Connolly
Editorial Director
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Featured Topic:

Life as a DBA
by Tim DiChiara, Senior Site Editor

The DBA life has always been challenging but now new threats are emerging. The tips and advice inside will guide you along the perilous path to becoming a database guru...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Rudy Limeback, Web and SQL Design Consultant, r937.com

Category: SQL
Rudy has worked with commercial databases since the mid-1970's, starting with IDMS, a Codasyl network system, and progressing through IBM's DB2 and Microsoft's SQL Server relational databases. He has developed data warehouses and transactional databases, always with an emphasis on making them easy to use for developers and end users alike. He specializes in writing SQL statements that are simple and easy to maintain. Rudy now operates r937.com, developing databases for use with dynamic Web sites. Ask him your tough SQL questions!
Ask Rudy a question

Featured expert advice
>> Ask the Expert: Deleting N rows from a DB2 table
Our DB2 expert Craig Mullins answers the question: "How can I delete N rows from a DB2 table? How can I retrieve the bottom N rows without sorting the table on key? ?"

Tip of the Week:
DB2 database design and principles of peak performance
Many design decisions made early during the development process can have a significant influence on the performance of your DB2 applications and databases. This article provides some general guidelines and recommendations for achieving better DB2 performance in z/OS environments.
>> Read the full tip

 Site Highlights

Small Biz IT Tech Tip
Activate your membership to SearchSmallBizIT.com and sign up for the "Small Business IT Tech Tip" newsletter. You?ll get practical advice on how to run a smooth, small-business IT organization and more.
Sign up now

Join ITKnowledge Exchange
Increase your productivity -- get quick answers to work problems that others in your field have already encountered. Join ITKnowledge Exchange today!
Register here
Webcast: Network Computing
Find out more
Tune in to Sun's Network Computing web event on September 21st. You'll find out about new innovations and affordable pricing structures designed to slash IT cost and complexity. Also, ask your own questions in a live chat with CEO Scott McNealy, CIO Bill Vass, and other Sun technology experts.

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
Ask The Experts
DB2 Tips
SQL Server Tips
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

Quick Poll
This week's poll asks: What's a respectable amount of time a DBA should stay at a job after receiving employer-paid training? Cast your vote now!
Vote now

White Paper
Read "Monitoring IT Infrastructure in the Web Applications Era" today to learn more about an affordable, agent-less monitoring solution. Download now!
Download now

  A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
TechTarget
Contact us:
SearchDatabase
Member Services
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
Needham, MA 02494

This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":