Title: SearchDatabase.com
Published by SearchDatabase.com
searchDatabaseThis Week
October 25, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: Giving loyalty when loyalty is earned
>> Featured Topic: Ask the SQL expert
>> Technical Advice: Featured expert advice
>> Site Highlights:
* Workplace ethics
* Answers to dev career questions
* SearchSmallBizIT.com's IT Update

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Editor

Do you owe your employer anything after completing expensive training that they paid for?

Several weeks ago in this space, our news writer Rob Westervelt posed that question. In these tough times, is it every man for himself or do respect and ethics still count for something? Do you think that you might even be "black listed" for taking the training and then running? Check out what your fellow database geeks are saying: join the discussion here.

For example, member CincyLin posted these thoughts:

"I don't think you have to worry too much about employer-paid training anymore. Haven't you noticed how specific job postings are today? If their employees do not have the skills they need, companies just lay them off and post for a new employee who will have all the skills they need at a lower cost. Companies don't need to train anymore. There are enough unemployed with the skills they need to choose from. Nowadays, just to stay in the market you have to stay up on the current needs and get the training yourself. Company loyalty? Baah! I'll give loyalty when loyalty is earned."

Agree? Disagree? Let us hear your rant!

Cheers, Tim

 Featured Topic:

Ask the SQL expert
by Tim DiChiara, Editor

Our expert Rudy Limeback has been in the database field for 25 years and he knows his SQL. Browse his 250+ answers to your tough SQL questions inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert Rudy Limeback, Web and SQL Design Consultant, r937.com

Category: SQL
Rudy has worked with commercial databases since the mid-1970's, starting with IDMS, a Codasyl network system, and progressing through IBM's DB2 and Microsoft's SQL Server relational databases. He has developed data warehouses and transactional databases, always with an emphasis on making them easy to use for developers and end users alike. He specializes in writing SQL statements that are simple and easy to maintain. Rudy now operates r937.com, developing databases for use with dynamic Web sites. Ask him your tough SQL questions!
Ask Rudy a question

Featured expert advice
>> Ask the Expert: Upgrading SQL Server 7
Our SQL Server expert Mike Hotek offers his opinion about the two methods of upgrading SQL Server 7 to 2000: side-by-side install vs. in-place upgrade.

Tip of the Week:
Oracle, open source putting the squeeze on SQL Server
Oracle Corp. is beginning to win the battle for small and medium-sized customers, putting pressure on Microsoft SQL Server's developers.
>> Read the full article

 Site Highlights

Workplace ethics
What's a respectable amount of time a DBA should stay at a job after receiving employer-paid training? View the results of this poll here.
View poll here

Answers to dev career questions
Want to boost your career? Need to know which certs are best for you? Get expert advice from Ed Tittel, at the Expert Answer Center. Pose your questions today or read his blog!
Check it out
SearchSmallBizIT.com's IT Update
Activate your subscription
Keep your finger on the latest buzz in the SMB IT industry. Sign up for SearchSmallBizIT.com's "IT Update" newsletter and get the latest news, advice and resources you need to set up an IT infrastructure that supports optimal business growth.

Resources for database pros
Select newsletters you would like to receive from the list below.
SQL Server White Paper Alerts
SQL Server Webcast Alerts
E-mail

Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

Salary Survey
Are you making what your worth? How much does experience and education count for? Check the Salary Survey at SearchDatabase.com.
Go there

White Papers
Check out the free database white papers available at SearchDatabase.com. Topics covered include: Data storage, Database administration, Enterprise Java, and much more.
Read more

Free Newsletters
Sign up for free newsletters at SearchDatabase.com today. Get news and tips that matter to you. Newsletters include: DBA Tips, Today's News, Ask the Experts, and much more.
Sign up now

  A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
TechTarget
Contact us:
SearchDatabase
Member Services
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
Needham, MA 02494

This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":