Title: DBA Tips
December 01, 2004 Published by  SearchDatabase.com

DBA Tips

SearchDatabase.com
NEWS     TOPICS     ITKNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE     TIPS     ASK THE EXPERTS     WEBCASTS     WHITE PAPERS
Issue Sponsored By:
  > Quest Software

IN THIS ISSUE:
  >  Write query results to Excel using a linked server and T-SQL
  >  Implementing Oracle's MINUS set operator in T-SQL
  >  Comparing directory structures using T-SQL
  >  The case for data stewardship
  >  Learning guide: Oracle security
  >  Techno-gadgets for geeks
  >  600 tips and scripts

Advice

Write query results to Excel using a linked server and T-SQL
[Eli Leiba]
This procedure is useful as a general tool for exporting SQL Server data to an Excel spreadsheet since the BCP utility can only export to a text file.
MORE INFO:
Hundreds more SQL Server tips and scripts

AD Maximize Oracle Performance on EMC Storage Systems
Having an Oracle-to-EMC performance view allows DBAs to research I/O bottlenecks and improve application response. Download Quest Software's technical brief "Oracle Performance on EMC Storage Systems" and learn best practices to proactively identify and diagnose potential I/O related problems. Download the technical brief now.

Implementing Oracle's MINUS set operator in T-SQL
[Eli Leiba]
This article describes how to implement the MINUS set operator that exists in Oracle SQL but unfortunately not in SQL Server 2000 T-SQL.

Comparing directory structures using T-SQL
[Eli Leiba]
There are times when SQL Server DBAs want to compare directory structures between different installations. Generally, this is done by using Windows Explorer and manually looking over the directory tree structures in both places. This process is vulnerable to human error. Here, the author suggests a different, automatic way of doing such a comparison.

The case for data stewardship
[SearchDatabase.com]
What does bad data cost your organization? Where does it come from? How can you fix it? A designated data steward just may be the answer.

Learning guide: Oracle security
[SearchOracle.com]
Keeping data and systems secure is a must for any Oracle DBA. Beyond patching known security flaws, there is a great deal a DBA can do to protect Oracle DBMSs and applications from security breaches, both from inside and outside your organization. This Learning Guide covers a wide variety of topics on many aspects of Oracle security to help you lock down your data.

Also on SearchDatabase.com

GADGET GUIDE 2004:  Techno-gadgets for geeks
TechTarget's annual Gadgets & Gizmos guide is filled with helpful reviews on some cool electronic gizmos. If you're looking for a stocking stuffer for yourself or a fellow techno-friend, read our helpful reviews to see how our editors made out with these products in the real world. You'll find everything from notebooks to handhelds, mobile phones to mobile offices, tiny digital cameras and portable game systems.

FEATURED TOPIC:  600 tips and scripts
Looking for that perfect script that will make your life as a DBA or database developer just a tad easier? Well, you've come to the right place. We offer over 600 Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and SQL tips, free for the taking. Enjoy!

Contact Us
Sales
For sales inquiries, please contact us at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Editorial
For feedback about any of our articles or to send us your article ideas, please contact us at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ABOUT THIS E-NEWSLETTER
TechTarget This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "DBA Tips":