Title: SearchDomino.com
Published by SearchDomino.com
searchDominoThis Week
October 04, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor:
  • Lotus conspiracy theories
  • >> Featured Topic:
  • Know your names.nsf
  • >> Expert Technical Advice:
  • Featured Expert: Scott Lemieux, Enterprise Integration
  • Site Exclusives:
    >> Lotus releases Domino 6.5.3
    >> Meta Group defends Domino/Exchange TCO report
    >> New and Notesworthy: September 2004
    >> Chapter Download: Crawling the Web with Java
  • Tips of the Week:
    >> Business day date list builder
    >> Tip Talkback: Sorting Notes DocumentCollection by given field name
  • >> Site Highlights:
  • Webcast: Secure your accounts
  • New newsletter: IT Tech Tip
  • Searching for a job?

  •  From the Editor:

    by Eric B. Parizo, News Editor

    I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone. From John Grisham's books, movies like The Insider and L.A. Confidential, even the Vegas cabbie who once tried to tell me all about the secret nuclear testing going on in Oakland, it's fun to speculate about what may or may not be going on behind the scenes.

    However, I have yet to unravel the conspiracy that would explain why so many seem eager to take down Notes and Domino. I'm sure you remember the recent Radicati report that harshly criticized Lotus' long-term plans, suggesting that its Workplace collaboration platform represents an "end-of-life" strategy for Domino. More recently, there was the Meta Group survey that found Domino's average annual total cost of ownership to be $300.19 per user, while Exchange 2003's yearly TCO was $143.96, 52% less than Domino.

    These are just the latest examples. In 2000, many assumed Domino would be obliterated by Exchange, forcing Al Zollar to mount a defense. Or when a top Domino application development firm abruptly decided to refocus its efforts on Exchange, eyebrows were again raised.

    Instead of focusing on a conspiracy, I'm sure Lotus would say these actions are caused by a jealous industry that knows Notes and Domino are superior collaboration products, but is that the whole story? Is the amorphous Lotus strategy easier to disparage than to decipher? Are decision-makers too easily seduced by Microsoft's advances? Is there a secret connection between Lotus and the grassy knoll or the Watergate complex?

    OK, perhaps there's really no conspiracy. Or, maybe that's what "they" want us to think.

    Have a great week!

    Eric Parizo

    P.S. - Do you have a Lotus conspiracy theory? Let us know!

     Featured Topic:

    Know your names.nsf
    by Christine Polewarczyk, Editor

    Do you know your names.nsf? Find out. Take a look at this collection of tips and expert advice on using, managing and troubleshooting this key component of your Notes/Domino system.

    Read more about this topic

     Expert Technical Advice:

    Featured Expert: Scott Lemieux
    Category: Enterprise Integration

    Dear Scott: We are using LEI 6 with a Domino 6.02 server. A direct transfer activity calls another direct transfer activity that then calls a scripted activity. The scripted activity is in LotusScript, and manipulates Oracle data for use in a Notes Web application. All three activities complete in about three minutes. This set of activities is scheduled to run every 10 minutes. They run successfully for a few days, but then this error occurs: LEI: Error 'Internal control store manager error -- incorrect API argument structure' returned while polling for the next activity.
    Click here to read Scott Lemieux's expert response or ask a question of your own.

    Site Exclusives:
    >> Lotus releases Domino 6.5.3
    Improvements in the latest scheduled maintenance release include multithreaded instant messaging, improved usability in Domino Web Access and fixes for the iSeries.

    >> Meta Group defends Domino/Exchange TCO report
    Meta Group says it stands by its recent small business messaging survey, which found Exchange's TCO to be 52% less than Domino's, even though it was funded by Microsoft.

    >> New and Notesworthy: September 2004
    This month's highlights include a SOA development environment for Domino pros, a tool for linking Notes to a CRM system and an enhanced Domino spam-filtering system.

    >> Chapter Download: Crawling the Web with Java
    Crawler technology is useful in many types of Web-related applications For example, you might use a crawler to look for broken links or find changes in a commercial Web site. The Web crawler developed in this chapter from the book The Art of Java, by Herbert Schildt and James Holmes, is called Search Crawler. It crawls the Web, looking for sites that contain strings matching those specified by the user, and displays the URLs of the sites for which matches are found.

    Tip of the Week:

    Business day date list builder
    This is a quick way to build a list of dates which may or may not eliminate weekends or holidays. By providing a little bit more lookup code, you can provide an annual holiday list, too.

    Tip Talkback: Sorting Notes DocumentCollection by given field name
    One user felt this tip would be better if it had the facility to supply ascending/descending as a parameter to the function. Tip writer Manvenda Rana responds and tweaks the code to show you how.

    >> Check out all our tips.

     Site Highlights

    Webcast: Secure your accounts
    Attend this webcast to learn important principles of Notes/Domino account management, including: high-quality and unique passwords and restoring lost IDs and passwords.
    Register today.

    New newsletter: IT Tech Tip
    Activate your membership to SearchSmallBizIT.com and sign up for the "Small Business IT Tech Tip" newsletter. Get advice on how to run a smooth, small-business IT organization and more.
    Sign up now.
    Searching for a job?
    Check it out!
    Search no more -- find hundreds of Domino-related employment opportunities such as systems analyst or IT manager at the SearchDomino.com Career Center.

    This new monthly tip will teach you how to manage spam and keep your systems secure.
    Enter your e-mail and start receiving Spam and Security Tip.
    E-mail

    Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

    Win a trip to Vegas!
    Attend the SearchSAP.com Conference and benefit from top sessions, networking opportunities, giveaways and more.
    Learn more.

    ITKnowledgeExchange
    Share ideas, expertise and get answers to your technical and strategic questions from other IT pros.
    Join now.

    Boost your career?
    Need to know which certs are best for you? Get expert advice from Ed Tittel at the Expert Answer Center. Ask your question today and get your answer tomorrow!
    Ask a question.

      A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
    TechTarget
    Contact us:
    SearchDomino
    Member Services
    117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
    Needham, MA 02494

    This e-newsletter is published by SearchDomino.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
    TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
    Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

    To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":