Title: SearchDomino.com
Published by SearchDomino.com
searchDominoThis Week
October 18, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor:
  • ITKE it!
  • >> Featured Topic:
  • Know your names.nsf
  • >> Expert Technical Advice:
  • Featured Expert: Chuck Connell, Security and Administration
  • Site Exclusives:
    >> No conspiracy: Microsoft, IBM to blame for Domino's decline
    >> Chapter Download: Writing Java servlets and JavaServer Pages
  • Tips of the Week:
    >> Meet the Extended ACL
    >> Domino cluster tuning
  • >> Site Highlights:
  • 10 Formula tips
  • New Learning Guide!
  • Domino Blog Contest: How many movie titles can you place?

  •  From the Editor:

    by Christine Polewarczyk, Editor

    ITKE? What is it and why am I using it as a verb?

    ITKE -- ITKnowledge Exchange -- is a brand-new SearchDomino.com member service, an innovative online community where you can exchange knowledge, share expertise and get answers to your technical and strategic questions from IT pros around the globe.

    ITKE far surpasses traditional listservs or forum offerings. Indeed, this kind of 'peer network' has the potential to render those venerable symbols of the Web obsolete. Once you build your profile and log in, you have immediate and direct access to a vast and specific network of your peers who are grappling with similar issues in a private and easy-to-use environment.

    ITKE is a network of Notes/Domino administrators and developers, and other IT practitioners, with the precise experience and qualifications that you specify. In fact, you can customize your ideal audience by selecting specific areas of expertise in advance. Whether you are in the research phase evaluating a new product, about to make a purchasing decision or you are in the midst of implementation, you can be sure that there are fellow geeks that can help steer you in the right direction.

    To get an idea of how ITKE works, you can check out some of these archived threads.

    And remember, if you have a tough IT question, ITKE it!

    Till next week,
    Christine

     Featured Topic:

    Know your names.nsf
    by Christine Polewarczyk, Editor

    Do you know your names.nsf? Find out. Take a look at this collection of tips and expert advice on using, managing and troubleshooting this key component of your Notes/Domino system.

    Read more about this topic

     Expert Technical Advice:

    Featured Expert: Chuck Connell
    Category: Security and Administration

    Dear Chuck: I was creating e-mails containing buttons and everything worked fine. Now when I try to send an e-mail containing a button, I get this error: "The following items cannot be sent or saved in MIME (Internet mail) format." Underneath it mentions the button. It must be my local setting because I am able to send e-mail from mine or other mailboxes on a different computer. Can you please tell me what I need to do?
    Click here to read Chuck's expert response or ask a question of your own.

    Site Exclusives:
    >> No conspiracy: Microsoft, IBM to blame for Domino's decline
    Lotus pros scoff at the notion that there's a conspiracy against Notes and Domino. Instead, it's Microsoft's savvy and IBM's complacency that's making them feel like second-class citizens.

    >> Chapter Download: Writing Java servlets and JavaServer Pages
    In this chapter from the book SAMS Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days, by Rogers Cadenhead and Laura Lemay, you'll learn how servlets differ from applications and applets, how to run them as part of a server, how to receive data from a Web page form, how to store and retrieve cookies, how to use servlets to dynamically generate Web content, how to create a JavaServer Page, and how to use Java variables, expressions and statements on a page.

    Tip of the Week:
    Meet the Extended ACL
    This tip gives you a quick background on xACL, an extension of the Domino Directory's ACL that allows you to further refine access to the directory. It also outlines exactly how you would configure the xACL to give you a user management group, separate from your Domino administrators, that is able to modify, create or delete every person document, group document and mail-in database document, and every field in each -- but unable to edit server, connection, configuration or domain documents.

    Domino cluster tuning
    Cluster performance tuning allows you to set the point at which a server considers itself "too busy" and sends users to another server. While this is a simple theory, putting it into practice is quite complicated and has driven many administrators to distraction. This tip is a primer on cluster tuning and should demystify some of the confusion about this topic.

    >> Check out all our tips.

     Site Highlights

    10 Formula tips
    Learn how to manipulate and customize your Notes/Domino environment with these 10 Formula scripts and tricks in 10 minutes. Submit your own Notes/Domino related tip and you'll be entered to win an iPod Mini!
    Check it out.

    New Learning Guide!
    Take advantage of our newest Learning Guide focused on LotusScript. This guide explains best practices and pitfalls to avoid and provides troubleshooting help and advice.
    Read it.
    Domino Blog Contest: How many movie titles can you place?
    Play the game!
    Back in August, Mike Lazar was the featured expert for the Expert Answer Center. He solved plenty of Domino administration problems, and he kept up a daily blog for his two-week stint. He played a little game in his blog, and now it's time for you to play back. Mike named his blogs with lines from his favorite movies. How many movies can you name? Read the last blog entry for contest details and how you can win a copy of Exam Cram 2: Lotus Notes and Domino 6 System Administrator, by Tony Aveyard and Karen Fishwick.

    Spam & Security Tip
    This monthly e-newsletter offers tips and expert advice on preventing and managing spam, and securing your e-mail and server systems.
    Subscribe now.

    Searching for a job?
    Search no more, find hundreds of Domino-related employment opportunities such as systems analyst or IT manager at the SearchDomino.com Career Center.
    Click here.

      A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
    TechTarget
    Contact us:
    SearchDomino
    Member Services
    117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
    Needham, MA 02494

    This e-newsletter is published by SearchDomino.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
    TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
    Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

    To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":