Title: SearchDomino.com
Published by SearchDomino.com
searchDominoThis Week
November 22, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor:
  • Check list for consolidation
  • >> Featured Topic:
  • Spam filtering
  • >> Expert Technical Advice:
  • Mathew Newman, Lotus Instant Messaging/Sametime
  • Site Exclusives:
    >> Gartner weighs in on Domino, Workplace futures
  • Tips of the Week:
    >> Preparing for consolidation -- Part 1
    >> Preventing save conflicts
    >> Rich text field workarounds
  • >> Site Highlights:
    >> White Paper: Domino challenges
    >> Spam & Security Tip newsletter
    >> New webcast

     From the Editor:

    by Jack Vaughan, Site Editor

    At some point during the 1990's client-server computing rage, someone somewhere said "enough is enough." Servers in crates were landing on corporate door steps then, something like flapjacks at a noisy Cub Scouts pancake breakfast, and the proliferation of these machines had just gotten out of hand. Who knows who was first? The important thing is that many others followed. They began to try to better rationalize their networks, and to consolidate servers where it made sense.

    That trend is on-going today, and it continues to be an area of interest on SearchDomino.com. We recently began a brief series on the topic, thanks to the efforts of Mike Lazar, whose piece Preparing for consolidation notes that the method you use to implement server consolidations is not always straightforward, and is very often based on personal judgment.

    Clustering can follow consolidation like white on rice. No matter how well you plan, a server is likely to get too busy eventually, or just outright fail, and clustering helps. Chuck Connell hits the high points on Domino cluster tuning in his recent article, Domino cluster tuning. Some out-of-the-box tools let Domino determine availability of servers, but you have to know something about the underlying software in order to succeed. As Connell writes, "Domino R5 and R6 use very different algorithms to calculate availability."

    Often, a migration to a new OS platform, or a move to a new Domino version, can set the consolidation wheels in motion. Such migrations are always with us and, like summer vacation trips, they can go easier with a handy checklist. Chuck Connell recently pointed readers toward some interesting check list templates for R6 migration, something that is on many to do lists right now -- just as our news writers look forward to R7!

    On another note entirely: While a lot of attention is rightly placed on software, we should not forget the disk drives that hold the programs that run the business world. As a reminder of the hurtling evolution there, word is out that Seagate has shipped a 400GB hard disk drive. In the spirit of Ken Olson, Bill Gates, the Great Criswell and so many prognosticators that went before me, I predict that this is the end of the line for memory, because no one could possibly use more than 400GB. Just kidding.

    Regards,
    Jack Vaughan

     Featured Topic:

    Spam filtering
    by Jack Vaughan, Site Editor

    Spam filtering continues to vie for the post of "Job #1" in IT shops worldwide. Recently, U.S. FTC commissioners hosted a two-day summit to grapple with e-mail authentication, once seemingly poised as a potent solution for the spam problem. SearchDomino.com looks at recent developments in the spam sphere.

    Read more about this topic

     Expert Technical Advice:

    Featured Expert: Mathew Newman
    Category: Lotus Instant Messaging/Sametime

    Dear Matt: How can meetings be migrated from a Sametime 2.5 server that is to be decommissioned to a new Sametime 6.5.1 server?
    Click here to read Mathew Newman's expert response or ask a question of your own.

    Site Exclusives:
    >> Gartner weighs in on Domino, Workplace futures
    Confused about the future of Workplace and Lotus Notes/Domino? You are not alone. IBM's move to promote Workplace and Notes/Domino as two overlapping product families is creating bewilderment among customers, according to Gartner Group.

    Tip of the Week:
    Preparing for consolidation -- Part 1
    An ongoing issue for administrators is server consolidation. From a Domino perspective, more powerful hardware means dispersed Domino servers can be merged into tighter configurations, reducing server count. The new IPVPN (mesh) networks in place at many companies today lend themselves to server consolidations. However, the method in which you implement server consolidations is not always straightforward.

    Preventing save conflicts
    This SearchDomino.com member needed to update a parent document from a response document in a Web application, while the parent document was in edit mode. When the parent saved, they got a save conflict error. To solve their dilemma, they created the code in this tip to set field values of the parent document.

    Rich text field workarounds
    In R6, if an editable rich text field contains an attachment, while the document is in read mode, the user who has author access rights or higher may right click the attachment and select to "Edit" or "Delete" the attachment. These actions will even turn the document into Edit mode without triggering mode change events. This tip shows you two workarounds for this problem.

    >> Check out all our tips.

     Site Highlights

    White Paper: Domino challenges
    In this white paper, learn how to solve the common project management challenges in the Domino environment via adopting an SRM (Service Relationship Management) methodology.
    Learn more.

    Spam & Security Tip newsletter
    This monthly e-newsletter offers tips and expert advice on preventing and managing spam, and securing your e-mail and server systems.
    Subscribe today!
    New webcast
    Register today!
    Learn how to use certificate authorities in a Domino environment: hear about what they are, how they work, why you need them and the pros & cons of trusted certificates vs. self-generated certificates.

    This new monthly tip will teach you how to manage spam and keep your systems secure.
    Enter your e-mail and start receiving Spam and Security Tip.
    E-mail

    Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

    10 Formula Tips
    Learn how to manipulate and customize your Notes/Domino environment with these 10 Formula scripts and tricks in 10 minutes. Submit your own tip and be entered to win $100!
    Click here.

    Wireless solutions
    Read this white paper to learn what wireless solutions are available today and how to deploy these within a secure enterprise environment.
    Download here.

    New Learning Guide
    Take advantage of our newest Learning Guide focused on LotusScript. This guide explains best practices and pitfalls to avoid and provides troubleshooting help and advice.
    Check it out.

      A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
    TechTarget
    Contact us:
    SearchDomino
    Member Services
    117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
    Needham, MA 02494

    This e-newsletter is published by SearchDomino.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
    TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
    Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

    To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":