On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:56:54 +0000 Simon Oliver
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Looking at the BIOS(couldn't see a make, but it's number is A02)
> That's the latest BIOS revision for your machine, see:
>
> http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home.asp?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_4300
>
> > Trouble is the only other choice is S1, which is even worse.
> > It seems that S1 and S3 are the ACPI Suspend Modes, but how can I turn
> > these off? Or use them properly?
>
> We've got a Dell Precision Workstation that wouldn't boot Linux - I got
> a Kernel Panic, something about a bug in apic.c.  The first solution was
> to disable APIC in the system BIOS but then the machine wouldn't boot
> Win2K (dual boot).  So I added [append = "disableapic"] to the
> lilo.conf, ran lilo, re-enabled APIC in the BIOS and now both Win2K and
> Linux (SuSE 7.2 / Kernel 2.4.4) are happy.
>
> Perhaps you could try one of these?

I can boot ok so I don't think it's anything to do with apic.c.
What I *can't* do is disable APIC in the BIOS.
One thing I didn't mention in my original message, is the way I put
Linux on. I try and keep all the linux machines I administer at the
same level by using ghost to copy round an image.
So maybe something isn't quite right here(for example I don't run apmd
[do I need this?])
Anyway I tried adding [append = "disableapic"] but this hasn't helped.
Is there some way I can check that this has taken effect, ie checking
in /proc or something?
My machine is dual boot as well(W2000). maybe changing things from
W2000 has some effect, from ctrl panel\power management?
Thanks again,

Ross
--
Ross Macintyre