Jan Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One machine or the other could be blocking ports above 1024,
> which ssh also needs to complete the connection.

No, that's not the case. And remember that I can ssh as root - I think
ssh needs non-reserved ports in that case as well.

> If this is the only server where the problem shows up,
> and several clients see it, then you might try a clean
> install of openssh and openssl on the server, after
> removing /etc/ssh.

Did that, too - no dice.

It is clear that a connection is established, and then closed
immediately.

$ ssh oleg@<server>
Last login: Sun Dec  9 18:49:20 2001 from <client>
 Connection to <server> closed.

The "last login" comes from the server machine, meaning that I have
successfully authenticated myself. Then something happens...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."