ipchains have been superseded by iptables. Unless you have a complex
script that uses ipchains already, you're best starting your education
with iptables. I suspect that the new kernel 2.6/3.0 won't have ipchains
supported anylonger. They're already backgrounded in favour of iptables in
2.4.X

That said, I've found this page to be very, very useful for setting the
various firewall rules that I've needed:

http://www.extra300.nl/rc.firewall.txt

Ian

Dr Ian Firla
Robert Graves Trust             | "A partial count of the software available
St John's College, Oxford       | in just one noncommerical Linux system
OX1 3JP - +44-(0)7855-310565    | would have cost about $1.9 billion to develop
http://www.robertgraves.org     | ... the way Microsoft does it" Bruce Perens