>    1. respawning? (Wendall Williams)
> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:38:14 -0800
> From: Wendall Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:  respawning?
>
> Hello All-
>
> Just started using RH7.1 on a P4 2.4GHZ, seagate 60gig. Brand new
everything.
> After the installation procedure and reboot, I get the RH splash
screen
> (control x for text, which I don't select) it goes through a long list
with
> green "ok"'s, then to a black screen with version numbers and
localhost login:

> At list point the screen starts to flash. Eventually it stops and
says:

> INIT: Id "X" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> localhost login:
>
> Any ideas?

Check out "man xinit".  (You can do this from a text-only session).
IIRC this has a description of the various files that X will look for
during it's start-up phase.  There are quite a few, both system files
and personal files.  And any of those can call other files.  It sounds
like you have a loop going on, in which one of the X start-up files
tries to initialize another X session.

Can you successfully log in at the "localhost login:" prompt?  And if
so, do you end up in an X session, or just in a text terminal?

Another thing to peek at is the /var/log/XFree* log file(s).  You might
get some hints there.

Regards,
Jim