> Thanks to all who responeded to my plea's.

btw funny question:
isn't that dos syntax
 set VAR="VAL"
 echo %VAR%
?
anyway; csh or whatever. I recommend to write in batch-jobs

var1=/my/path
var2="\$var1=${var1}"                   # "" interpolates; escape with \
var3='var1 is stored in $var1'  # '' does not interpolate: care the \ only
var4=`date` # store timestamp in var4  # assign output of command to var

echo "$0: starts $var4"
cd ${var1}/subpath

## etc.

means : whenever need to concatinate variables, write ${VAR}
but you can always write ${VAR} instead of $VAR fore readability.

regards,

~andreas