Have you installed the client for "windows netwks" on your 98 box ?
Do you open a session by entering a login/passwd or not ?
Have you created the samba user on your linux box (smbadduser command)

Seems like samba doesn't recognize your win session password, or share password.
Try changing your win98 user paswword, and use smbadduser to add /overwrite your share password for the user.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I rebuilt my win98 machine and lost a password that was saved - haven't keyed it in years. When I go to network neighborhood I can see the //prod server but when I double click it I am asked for a //prod/IPC$ password. I have tried to find it on the samba server but I can't. Please help.