Scott,

First the good news. I can reproduce your problem by removing install on a system here.

The bad news is that I have absolutely no idea why autoconf requires install-sh be in the src directory - it seem worse to use it rather than nothing! The "standard" X11 install-sh script is fairly naieve. It assumes "install filename to-filename". It cannot take multiple files going to a single directory.

To make matters worse, when configure finds install on the path, it adds a fully pathed version to make files. But when it finds install-sh in the current directory, it adds "./install-sh", which is why your system couldn't find it in all the subdirectories. You can get around it by setting -srcdir="`pwd`", but that's annoying.

So no quick fix. I'm going to have to play around to find something that works nicely.

If anyone knows of a nice BSD licensed install-sh script that we can simply include, that would be nice too :>.

Cheers,
        Berin

Scott Cantor wrote:

Make install works on the Solaris 2.8 system that we have access to, but I suspect that's because we have the GNU install (fileutils) on our
system.

Probably so. I'll give it a try myself with that package installed. As long
as there's a relatively reasonable way to get make install to work, I'm ok
with it.

-- Scott