I am trying to find fairly recent statistics on how much the
average American family spends per year (or month) in various
categories such as food, entertainment, clothing, transportation,
housing, etc. All I have been able to find are government statistics
which used very braod categories such as discretionary income,
savings, debt, etc. But I need more specific data.
    I am writing a book on money management strategies and want
to create charts showing how much a typical family can save using
my methods. So I need to know how much they are spending now
in order to end up with  a before and after picture. Any help will be
appreciated.