Hi,

related to our recent usability discussions of the website, I noticed
another issue that we should address: the options that people have for
downloading SMW. Currently we have:

1) A shiny download button on the main page that leads to

2) a much less shiny Help:Download page
    http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Download

3) yesterday, I added: shiny direct download buttons for SMW version
pages (shown only when download URL is given in template), see e.g.
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki_1.5.3

4) a navigation item "Download" on the left that leads to the
Sourceforge page.

I think download buttons should work like (3): you click and get a file.
That's what you expect when a button says "download". The problem is (2)
above which does not have any such buttons at all. Contributions for
making (2) more functional are very welcome. Or should (1) be a direct
download button similar to the on at (3)?

I also think that we should make (4) link to an internal page that lists
all SMW versions together with direct download buttons for each, so
visitors can stay on our site and can navigate to each release's page
for details (this is not possible from Sourceforge). To make such a
page, we would need to add direct download links and release dates to
the SMW Release templates for all pages in
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:SMW_releases
One could then add properties to the SMW Release template to store these
values (this is easy), and make a query that creates a nice little
chronological table/listing of SMW releases with Download buttons for
each (needs some skill, since templated #ask results are involved).

I won't be able to do these changes soon. Contributions would be very
welcome (starting with the completion of the data for SMW release pages).

Cheers,

Markus