Hi Don.

I guess this is all down to what DAM you use. We have a client that uses
Xinet and so we faced the exact same problem you have. We had to get an
extension written that integrates with the Xinet Connector API. It was a
major (and expensive) chunk of work! It allows links to assets stored in
Xinet to be published to a SMW instance. Had to integrate the security
as well which was fun.

It is a commercial DAM you are using or home grown?

Regards
Neill.