On 10/02/2011 16:09, Benedikt Kaempgen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to add Inline Editing functionality to SMW, so that users can
> edit values of properties directly when clicking on them.
>
> One way to this would be to have some RDFa surrounding the annotations so
> that after a user has changed the embedded html, a script in the back would
> know from the RDFa which page and property to update.
>
> There is an RDFa extension, however, it does not embed the RDFa but only
> adds it to the beginning of the page, so that the html is not linked to the
> actual properties.
>
> I was looking to either hook into the annotation parsers ([[...::...]] and
> {{#ask...}}) or the query parsers (SMWAsk class) to add the RDFa to the
> wikitext/html output, but both times didn't find a suitable place to add the
> RDFa without editing SMW core.
>
> Any ideas and comments on this would be appreciated.

Having optional RDFa embedding in pages would be nice. It should
normally be added when displaying values. Then the data would appear on
all pages where the values are shown, whether on special pages, in
queries, or on the page itself. This would be nice. The problem with
this is that the SMW value objects do not know their subject (they
sometimes know their property, for typing information, but never their
subject). And the way they are retrieved, it may even happen that they
do not have a subject in all cases (e.g. when you view all values of a
property, then one value may belong to many subjects). So not all places
really would allow for proper RDFa export in the end. I am also slightly
concerned about the change in data model that it would imply if we
generally would store whole triples in single values.

But there is currently no SMW-internal representation of a "triple" for
representing wiki data -- everything is lists of properties and lists of
values. This makes it hard to find a good place to get the information
from for RDFa export in a universal sense (i.e. not just on pages). But
if we can live without this, then one could still enable RDFa embedding
on the pages where the data is originally given. This would probably not
be very useful, since the same page already has a link to the complete
RDF export, but who knows. Maybe some search engines like it ...

After this, the problem is locating the right spot for making a change,
as mentioned by Yaron. This amounts to something that is similar to what
SMWWriter attempts to do (and does successfully in many cases). So I
think it would be feasible in some cases, but problematic in general.

Regards,

Markus