Hi James, hi all,

the relationship and synergies of SMW and Wikidata are of course quite
important to us, so I am taking the time to write a slightly longer
email that I also send to the user list.

At the moment, Wikidata is still under development, so it is a bit early
to make concrete plans on how to align the project.
Here are some things that I can already answer now:

(1) What is the software in "Wikidata"?

The software underlying Wikidata is called Wikibase. It consists of two
extensions: Repository (where data is stored; this will run at
wikidata.org) and Client (that pulls data into other MediaWiki sites;
this will run at wikipedia.org). Both extensions will be installable on
MediaWiki sites to get Wikidata-like features there.

(2) What are the main differences between SMW and Wikidata?

Wikidata is being built with SMW in mind, and the experiences with SMW
are a valuable input for its design. The main use case of Wikidata (a
centralised, multi-lingual site that serves as a data repository) is
different from that of SMW (a data-enhanced MediaWiki), and this leads
to a number of differences.

The data model of Wikidata is a bit more complex than that of SMW. For
example, every fact will also have an (optional) reference. Wikidata
will also use more complex datatypes (e.g., since many text values can
be translated). However, both Wikidata and SMW are still mostly based on
property-value assignments, and Wikidata will have a Property namespace.
Also, the more complex structures in Wikidata could be captured in SMW
using internal objects.

The user interface of Wikibase Repository will be based on input forms,
and thus quite different from SMW. The UI will be a bit like a
full-page, editable Factbox, but much more advanced, with a lot of
support for entering values.

It is not defined yet what kind of query language Wikidata will support
in Phase 3 (or thereafter). This needs to be designed first, but the
more complicated data model will also have an impact there.

(3) What is a ContentHandler and how could it help SMW?

ContentHandlers allow MediaWiki to manage textual content that is not
interpreted as wikitext. Wikidata uses this to store data in a
text-based format (JSON) without having to invent a MediaWiki syntax
extension. In the future, it might be possible to have "multi-part"
content for one page, so that one can store both Wikitext and other
structured data in a cleaner way.

SMW could use this to allow data to be stored directly for a page,
without having to specify the data in the wikitext. This could be a bit
like an "editable Factbox". MediaWiki could do something similar with
Categories.

(4) Will ContentHandlers reduce the dependence on custom SQL?

No. Content that is stored in textual form on wiki pages is not suitable
for answering queries quickly. To do this, it will always be necessary
to have custom tables and/or external storage engines that provide fast
access to the data. This is also the case for Wikidata.

Currently, the MW page is the *primary* storage for SMW data, while the
SQL tables are just *secondary* storage for faster lookup. The
ContentHandlers can improve primary storage handling, but won't affect
secondary storages and querying.

(5) What are the possible synergies and joint uses of Wikidata and SMW?

The details can only be worked out when Wikidata is a bit more stable
than it is now, but there are a few obvious scenarios:

* Wikibase Repository + SMW: data given in SMW annotations and data
edited in Wikidata end up in the same secondary data structures, and can
be retrieved through the same interfaces/queries. There are three main
query support via #ask), Wikibase tables are used for SMW content
(yields full integration with Wikibase data access features), or both.

* SMW as a Wikibase Repository: SMW could support the use of Wikibase
APIs and exports on top of its native data store, so that other sites
could fetch SMW data via the Wikidata Client.

* SMW as a Wikibase Client: SMW could also pull data from Wikibase
Repositories to use it locally and to display it in its interfaces.

* Exchanging code: Besides application-level integration, SMW and
Wikidata are also going to exchange lines of code. Initially, Wikidata
will exploit code from SMW (e.g., the calendar conversion code for times
and dates). Later, smaller pieces of Wikidata code might be used for
SMW. In many cases, this will mean that the code is adapted heavily; if
it can be used without much change, one would possibly create a "library
extension" (like Validator).

(6) Will Wikidata replace SMW in the long run?

No. If anything, the integration between both could become so good that
the distinction is no longer relevant and we are only talking about
different data authoring and data access interface extensions to
MediaWiki, which users can enable and disable at their leisure. This
will still take some time though.

(7) What is the development plan for SMW with respect to Wikidata?

The strategy is to wait until Wikidata has settled a bit before
approaching any integration. This will probably be another 10 or 11
months from now (note that data management only comes in at Phase 2 of
Wikidata, i.e., in 5 months). Exchanging some code might be possible
before that, but integrating Wikibase while it is a moving target would
not be feasible (there would not be a chance of keeping up with the
speed of Wikidata, esp. since half the SMW team is engaged in Wikidata
development right now).

I hope this answers most questions on that topic for now. Maybe it would
be nice to have a wikipage on semantic-mediawiki.org with these answers.

Best regards,

Markus