On Friday 25 June 2004 03:51, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > While I agree that we should be container neutral, it would be good to
> > accomodate the extended, but optional, Avalon lifecycles into a reworked
> > Mailet API so that it can be leveraged when available.
>
> I would be -1 regarding any contamination of the Mailet API with container
> specific interfaces.  But I do concur that we want to support dynamic
> reconfiguration.  That is something we can all collaborate on, that is more
> of an issue for a Mailet Container than the Mailet API.  I believe that we
> already have enough in the Mailet API to support destroying and re-initing
> Mailets.  As you already noted to Stephen McConnell, "The current Mailet
> lifecycle is init, service, destroy.  To reconfigure, the container could
> simply send a destroy followed by an init to effect reconfiguration."  The
> Servlet API demonstrates that we don't need more than that in the Mailet
> API to support reloading.  And if/when we do add things, I would adopt a
> Listener interface approach, just as is done in the Servlet and Portlet
> APIs.  The events would be in the Mailet domain, not a container domain.
>
> A key design area is the Mailet container, which is currently a Processor.
> We need to look at that, and decide whether we can merge Processor and
> Mailet; if we need to (and can) have Processor extend Mailet; if we can use
> some additional Listeners to allow dynamic reconfiguration of a Mailet;
> etc., but I would not tie this into the Avalon lifecycle except with an
> adapter.  Nor would I require Mailets to register, anymore than Servlets or
> Portlets have to register if they have declared listener interfaces.
>
> On a related note, as I believe I've mentioned I'd like to change the way
> that RemoteDelivery works.  Rather than have RemoteDelivery handle its own
> queuing, I'd like to push that out a level so that any matcher/mailet can
> benefit from that capability.  For example, if a DNSRBL matcher failed, the
> operation could be requeued.

I would not mind putting that on my list, well I guess most stuff that
concerns RemoteDelivery has my interest ;-)
Do you have more detail of how you envision this requeing service?

--Søren

>       --- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager             Phone:  +45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S     Fax:    +45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12           Direct: +45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj          Email:  soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com