Yes, of course I actually fixed the problem for me by commenting this line since this exact server doesn't really need to allow localhost to send mail. However I think it would be a nice addition to have an option to force always showing the AUTH capability. I am not familiar with james source but I am pretty sure this is a quick one.

No, in 2.2.0 if the remote IP is in the authorized network specified with <authorizedAddresses>, the SMTP AUTH will not be enforced.

BTW, perhaps Jacques can solve his problem just commenting out his <authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.1</authorizedAddresses> entry, unless there is any other need.

Vincenzo