Hello:

I'm working on a backup and restore feature for our schoolservers, and I got
stuck on home directories of laptops

The backup works like this.. based on the backup script provided by dsd, and
also based on our specific features.. I placed all important data in a
directory "/library/backup" (wich can later be tar, ziped, and in our case
rsync-ed), and its being done by a cron job

On a centralized backup server.. we have a script that PULLS the
/library/backup of each server, so main configs are being saved without much
hassle.. But when it comes to user directories, it lack permissions, because
the /library/users/SN directory has no read permissions for others

how would you recomend that we do this?

My first thought was to simply just add recursive read permissions to the
user folder.. but that doesn't take security in mind.. perhaps there's
another way

for now our pull works like this:

r...@backupserver ~ $ rsync u...@schoolserver:/library/backup/
/backup/schoolserver/backup/
r...@backupserver ~ $ rsync u...@schoolserver:/library/users/
/backup/schoolserver/users/

r...@backupserver ~ $ rsync us...@schoolserver2:/library/backup/
/backup/schoolserver/backup/
r...@backupserver ~ $ rsync us...@schoolserver2:/library/users/
/backup/schoolserver/users/

Doing a push as a cron job from the server was a second idea, but the backup
server does "other" things so security in the backup server is very
important

Any ideas?

cheers..

--